Chapter 10: Nightwing

We've now been Shadow and Robin for a two months, and Batman has started to let us out more on patrols, and has recently let us out more on our own. Not completely, he'll still be nearby, but he'll let us handle stake outs and minor muggings on our own.

It's December now, and thankfully Jason finally allowed me to redesign his suit to have dark green tight pants on them, otherwise he would be freezing now. They were similar in material to Batman's, just matching the aesthetic of the Robin costume. I had teased him mercilessly for the whole first month until he finally realized what a dork he looked like, and that it wouldn't be any less of a Robin uniform if he modified it.

In addition to our normal uniforms, we now also have an extra layer of insulation under our uniforms

In addition to our normal uniforms, we now also have an extra layer of insulation under our uniforms. I even added a dark red scarf to mine and Robin's uniforms. I tried to get Bruce to wear a scarf too, but he just glared at me so I dropped it. I probably shouldn't have tried to get him to wear a Superman merchandise scarf, but it was totally worth the prank.

"You two are on patrol together tonight." Batman informs us once we're both suited up. "Just keep an eye out for muggers. If you see anything more than that, observe only, and report to me. Do not act on your own, you're not ready yet."

"We are ready for more, we never make mistakes!" Jason argues back stubbornly. He's been getting antsy, he wants to prove himself to Bruce. We've been dutifully following orders since the Two-Face fight, but that's resulting in boring patrols.

I stay quiet, not really caring either way. I trust in our skills for bigger missions, but I also know that we're still young, even if our bodies have gotten stronger. My fight with Joker let me know I still need to keep working hard.

"Not yet. You're doing good currently, just keep doing what you're doing. You're not ready for more." Batman says as he gets in his car and leaves.

"Come on Shadow, let's just go." Robin says with a sigh as we get on our bikes. "We need to find a way to prove ourselves."

"We already do some patrols by ourselves, I think that shows trust, Jase." I counter to him, pointing out our still-new development. "Let's go beat up some muggers and low level thugs, that always makes you feel better." I grin at him to make him feel better. "We can race on the roof tops too, if you want. Not that you'll win." I smirk challengingly at him as I take off ahead of him.

We speed through the streets of Gotham, getting to our designated patrol area for the night. We protected a couple of civilians from a mugging within the first ten minutes. There's never a shortage of crime in Gotham. We take off to go prowl the rooftops and chase each other, cackling like little kids as we raced before finally perching at our designated patrol area.

"Robin, suspicious activity on 10th. Let's listen in and see what this group of totally innocent looking guys are talking about in that alleyway." I say sarcastically into my intercom, and Robin comes and joins me. He was only a building away, so it only took him a few seconds.