Chapter 28: Stephanie Brown

A/N: Full disclosure, I don't know very much about Stephanie Brown's personality or story, but I still wanted to include her in the story for Tim's sake. If my take on her doesn't match her comic book self, I apologize and just based it on some other stories or clips about her when I researched her. She won't be in the story much at all beyond this chapter.

The first week of January, there was a new development in our dynamics. Tim's father, Jack Drake, woke up from his coma. 

While Tim was happy to have his dad back, he was also sad to move back home. He had been living with us ever since he started training over a year and a half ago. Jack was recovering from being paralyzed from his poisoning attack, and needed Tim around more to help him. He also had a change in values, and no longer wanted to focus on work, but instead on bonding with Tim. 

Over the first few weeks, Tim tried to hide that he was Robin, but eventually his dad found out. Jack came over to the manor and yelled at Bruce, it got ugly and there was even a gun involved, and he forbid Tim from being Robin anymore. Timmy had to hang up his cape, but he managed to convince his dad not to move away from Gotham like he wanted. I still got to see my little brother in school, but it wasn't the same. I missed him being around the manor all the time.

I wasn't Shadow full time, I only went out on occasions to help out when there were larger crimes going on or I just felt the need to protect Tim before he was forcibly retired, or just to keep an eye on Bruce after. I did go out as Nightingale occasionally still, just to take on the jobs that were too dark for Batman to handle. 

Nightingale was still useful to be a constant reminder to the criminals of Gotham, so it was important to still have her be seen. My focus when I was Nightingale was to go after violent criminals, organized crime rings, and any rapists or murderers I found while out on the streets. When I was her, I didn't take on the villains like Batman and Shadow did, I usually just took care of the ugly underbelly of crime.

While Tim was benched by his dad, his newer girlfriend Stephanie Brown, who has been the vigilante Spoiler for a year or so, stormed into the cave one day. It was about a month after Tim was forcibly retired. I wasn't even aware she knew about Bruce being Batman, but apparently she did. I must have missed the memo at some point.

When she showed up randomly in the Batcave, she was dressed in a handmade Robin costume. It was more feminine in design that the boys' usual uniform, and it wasn't armored at all.

"Train me! I can be your Robin!" Stephanie was yelling at Bruce, and I was instantly annoyed by both her voice and her attitude

"Train me! I can be your Robin!" Stephanie was yelling at Bruce, and I was instantly annoyed by both her voice and her attitude. I can tell Bruce was too. At least when Tim broke in here and exploited Bruce's secret, he was polite about it.

"No." Bruce growls out angrily. "You don't have what it takes, and I don't need a Robin, especially not an untrained one like you." Bruce says dismissively, turning his back on the girl.