Chapter 26: Shadow Returns

Lucius got to crafting me a new suit right away. I couldn't hide my feminine figure anymore, but I also didn't want to. I wasn't a weak little 13 year old girl anymore. I just turned 17, I'm taller and more imposing, and incredibly strong now. I wasn't necessarily curvy, but I had a noticeable enough chest now that I couldn't be mistaken as a boy anymore.

I wanted to have a suit that fit me better, both physically and mentally, but still held the elements of Shadow that the old one did. I kept the mask and hood concept, as well as the black cape. The new cape was smaller though, and it could be clipped in the front at the waist like a coat if I wanted to have more movement, or it could be left loose like a regular cape like Batman's. The pants weren't cargo style anymore, though they also weren't quite skin tight like the boys pants were.

The breast plate armor was more form fitting now, since I had developed quite a bit in the chest area in the last year, and it had a bat symbol placed on it that was more obvious than my old one had been, per my own request. Instead of being black on black, the breast plate was a matte grey, and the bat was a reflective black that was outlined in gold to make it stand out. It was there not to serve as a symbol to others who I was with, but a reminder to myself that I have to fight as a Bat when in this costume, not as Nightingale. I was worried I might forget that when out on duty, so I made sure to have it be where I could see. I only have to look down to remember now.

I had my knives back too, which felt really comforting to have in my hands again after being Nightingale and pointedly not using them. Though I did have one piece of my Nightingale style that I wanted to bring over as Shadow. It was a subtle one, not obvious enough to tie my two personas together, but I wanted it. 

"Why the sword?" Tim asks me as I put on my new uniform for the first time

"Why the sword?" Tim asks me as I put on my new uniform for the first time. I added a black sword and stored it on my back. I found I liked having the sword a lot in my other uniform, and wanted the weapon in this one as well. It's not a katana style though, it's more like a short broad sword, all in black steel and black sheath, because Batman.

"It's intimidating." I grin at him wickedly. "Besides, you never know when you might need a little extra reach. Or, I could always just need something long to roast a marshmallow over a fire with, the sword works for that too." I add thoughtfully to him as I pull my mask up.