Chapter 6: Training

After we went to bed that night, and after Jason snuck out of his room and into my bed, we talked excitedly for hours about how much our lives just changed. We created fantasy scenarios, of all the crime we can fight and all the good we can do at Batman's sides. I was beginning to wonder if Jason would ever stop bouncing in hyper excitement about becoming Robin until he abruptly passed out in exhaustion. I followed him soon after, the plush bed and soft sheets lulling me into a dreamless sleep.

The room Alfred put me in looks like a hotel room, with an oversized four poster queen bed with a wooden frame and cream colored sheets. The drapes are also cream, and there's a small balcony that overlooks the garden and has a view of the forest that surrounds the grounds. Jason's room has a similar layout, only his view is of the city since it's across the hall. The rooms each have their own bathroom and walk in closet, as well as a TV, dresser, and desk. The closet and dresser are both empty, but I have a feeling that won't be the case for very long.

Alfred comes to take us down for breakfast not long after we woke up, finding us both in my room and scolding us with his eyes at seeing Jason and I in the same bed. We just stare blankly back at him, not caring at all. 

We're twins, get over it Al. 

We change into our own clothes and head down to the kitchen, which Alfred had to lead us to, otherwise we would have gotten lost. We sit down at the little table in the kitchen as Alfred serves us both a huge platter of sausages, eggs, bacon, hash browns, pancakes, and fruit. It's more food than we would eat in a whole day, and we each have an overflowing plate to ourselves. 

We both start to dig in enthusiastically, savoring the delicious foods, but I don't even make it halfway through.

"Crap." I say out loud as I feel the food start to rise back up in my throat. 

I rush to the sink and throw up everything I just ate, Jason running to rub my back as I throw up a second time as well. He turns on the sink and starts to clean it out, and fills up a nearby glass with water and hands it to me. I drink it slowly as I gasp to recover my breathing, spitting some out to clean my mouth of the bile before drinking the water properly. I can feel my whole body shaking from the violent purge as I sink the floor to stop the nausea.

"My heavens, are you alright Mistress Anastasia? Are you allergic to something?" Alfred asks in a panic as he joins us.

"Nah, she isn't allergic to nothin'." Jason answers him for me as I calm down my breathing. "We just never had that much food at once before, especially food that rich. We usually share a small meal between the two of us for breakfast, and she always gives me the larger portion."

"You're the younger one, I have to make sure you eat enough." I reply weakly.

"My word... I will have to adjust the meal plan so this doesn't happen again. I never considered this simple breakfast would be too much." Alfred says worriedly as Bruce walks in the room.

"What's going on?" Bruce asks, seeing me on the floor and Jason by my side.

"They are far more malnourished than I thought. Mistress Anastasia couldn't keep down the food. She will have to sit out your training tod-" Alfred starts to tell him before I cut him off.

"I'm fine now, this isn't enough to stop me. I'll be fine for training." I say stubbornly, and stand up to prove my point. 

I walk back to the table and grab a slice of toast and begin to eat it slowly. I love bread, it always soothes an upset stomach, plus we never got a lot of fresh bread like this. It's usually almost moldy by the time the soup kitchens give it to us. Jason also grabs a piece of toast, probably to help absorb some of the rich food so he doesn't also puke. I see a smile form on his face as he munches down the toast. We seriously have a weak spot for good bread, and this toast is easily the best we've ever had.