Chapter 38: Red Hood

As I was sitting in my apartment a week or so after my last tune out at the café, I got an alert from Nightwing that went off on my phone, so I answered it quickly once the ringtone started. I have Dick and Nightwing set to different tunes, that way I know how to answer the phone.

"Nightwing?" I ask as I answer.

"Shadow, I could use you out here. There's a cocky new guy going around trying to run the drug trade. He just killed over a dozen men, all lieutenants of drug ring leaders. Also, he managed to escape Batman last night." Nightwing says, and I feel my breathing catch, recognizing the series of events. "We're going to try and catch him tonight, we could probably use your help."

"What's... What's his name?" I ask tentatively, holding my breath.

"He calls himself Red Hood." Nightwing says seriously. "Suit up." He hangs up the phone then, and I let my cell phone drop to the ground.

"Oh my god." I breathe out in shock, then start to feel the tears forming. "YES!" I scream out loudly, choking down on a sob. I get up and actually jump and shout in my apartment, repeating the affirmation over and over again. "Finally!" I say loudly, a huge, genuine grin lighting up my face. 

I wipe my tears off, laughing to myself as I rush to my closet, but not my Shadow closet. I have had years to plan this moment, and I knew exactly how I wanted this to go down. I set my security camera's onto a loop, and jump off my roof as Nightingale, heading towards Nightwing's and Batman's location.

I get there as Batman and Nightwing are in pursuit of Red Hood, and I stay hidden as Hood continues to escape them. I follow, letting Batman get close, and laugh as Red Hood stops each attack before it happens.

"Shadow, report, where are you?" Batman growls into my ear piece angrily while he chases his target. This is the first time we've even spoken since our fight, I'm unsurprised it's a demand coming from him.

"Can't make it, had to save civilians from a robbery. I'll try and catch up later." I say urgently, making sounds against the alley wall like I'm fighting. I'm far enough away from them they wouldn't be able to hear it. I don't get a response from Batman, he's likely seething and angry at me, but I don't care. 

When Red Hood manages to fully escape Batman after they exchanged a few blows, I followed him to his base. He was in an underground sewer, so I had to follow closely in order to not lose sight of him, but it's fine because that's my specialty.

I watch as he goes into a room, and I smirk and giggle at my dramatic plans. I made them a while ago, and it's going to be fun to execute it. I haven't genuinely had fun in so long, I'm realizing now how much I missed it. It's like my own heart and soul already know that I'm close to him again. 

I pick the lock to his hideout, and to be an absolute dick and drama queen, I whistle my haunting Nightingale tune as I walk in casually, approaching Jason as he had just taken off his red helmet, but still had a domino mask on his eyes.