02 - The ASL trio

Edited: 22/01/2023

Everyone except Garp in the dining room is shocked. Just who in their right mind would ask a random kid to become their grandchild?! Definitely, not Garp.

"You didn't hear me? You will be my granddaughter from now on" Garp repeated.

You blinked once then twice and looked into his eyes to see if there is any lies or deception but there is none so you were completely confused.

"I-Its not that I didn't hear you. Are you serious about this?" you asked for confirmation.

"No, kid. I rarely say this to anyone"

You looked around at his subordinates with a face full of disbelief. Yea, that sounds hard to believe.

"Wait, I have another idea. Since we're on our way to Dawn Island, I decided that you will help me look after my grandson"

You raised a brow. He had a grandson? He didn't seem to look like the person to have a family.

"So, you're just going to dump me on a random island to look after your grandson? Until when?"

"Until he's old enough to be a marine!!" Garp replied with confidence while grinning. "And you're the most suitable candidate to train him until then!!"

"And why is that?" you tilted your head in confusion.

"Oh, right. I forgot to tell you the basic information about yourself" Garp said.

Your eyes lit up. You wanted to ask him that but you couldn't find the opportunity to speak up about it and the topic of being adopted by him caught you sidetracked and almost forgot about it.

"You're 16 years old and you used to be a marine before I found you on that island. How you got in that shape is that you were defeated by pirates and you might have hit your head as you washed up on shore which is how you lost your memories" Garp explained.

You nodded while slowly taking in the information given. You fully believed it however there is this feeling nagging at the back of your mind that disagrees with it. You felt conflicted. Should you believe it? But there's no one else besides Garp who can tell you your background. Does that mean he was half truthful?

Then a question came to mind. "I heard from your subordinates called you Vice Admiral, do you know what rank I was in?"

He gave you a nod and replied, "Yep, from what I gathered, you were at least a Commodore. Don't know how come I've never heard of someone like you"

The surrounding subordinates almost felt like vomiting blood when they heard this. 'What the hell!! That's two ranks below Vice Admiral Garp's rank!! How come he had never known about her?! Or how did we not know anything about her at all?! It's as if she had never existed!!' 

"I have to admit. That's an amazing feat for someone your age to have reached Commodore rank. Bahaha!!" Garp laughed.

"Was it that high in the Marines?" you asked curiously while trying to hide your anticipation.

He grinned. "Of course!! I've been in the marines for the longest time so I know it when I saw one"

You stared in awe. You have no idea that you were once a well-accomplished marine before you lost your memories but you were confused when you thought of this.

"If I was that good, why can't I return to the headquarters since I'm alive? Someone like me who is at a higher rank and very useful to them so what caused the change?"

Garp turned silent and you noticed a slight hint of hesitance in his eyes but he replied as he became composed again. "Your previous mission was complicated and they decided to decommission you and lay low. You were presumed dead to them which is why it ended up like this"