74 - Preparations

Time seemed to slow down the moment you spoke. Your throat was dry and your voice was hoarse as if you'd been gone for a very long time. Then you felt a sudden weight on your body and blinked. It took time for you to process everything as you felt wet splotches on your shoulder.

"Y-You're awake!! I can't believe it!! If this were a dream, I wish to never wake up from it!!" Thatch exclaimed, hugging you tightly.

He got smacked in the head by Marco who was slightly irked by the sight. "Back off, Thatch. She just woke up and no, you're not dreaming-yoi"

He winced at the pain as he rubbed the sore spot on his head.

"Nevertheless, I'm glad you woke up, (First Name)" Marco smiled at you with eyes full of relief.

You were about to say something when someone crashed into the conversation. Scratch that. Multiple people crashed down the door as soon as the room started to fill the crowd. Many of them came with glassy eyes and disgusting snot on their faces and it took all of Marco's sanity not to lash out at them for barging into the infirmary like wild animals.

After he finally shooed them away, it was just you and Marco. Thatch left the infirmary to cook something for you in the kitchen.

There was pure silence but it wasn't uncomfortable and you are trying to think of the first words to say after waking up.

"So . . .How are you feeling right now?" Marco spoke up.

"I . . .feel lightheaded" you replied and then paused for a moment before you asked, "How long have I been out?"

"A year. We were about to bury your body along with our brothers until we were stopped by Pops"

You perked up and kept silent, waiting for him to continue.

"We were confused as he told us to prepare a fake burial for your grave. We asked him why we had to go to such lengths until he told me to check on the body again. That's when we all realized that there is a heartbeat. Although it's very faint, it shows that you're still alive and that sparks a slimmer of hope. . .Including Ace"

Your eyes widened as you stared at him in shock.

"You have no idea how much you made him show such a sorry state to us. . .Well, not like we're any better" Marco chuckled.

"He knew?" you inquired and he nodded in response.

"I-" You looked down as guilt started eating up on you. "I'm sorry for making you all worried like that. I truly thought that this was the end of me"

"It's alright. We're just glad that you're alive and well" he waved it off as he gave you a small smile and then turned serious. "Although that was a bit uncalled for that stupid stunt you pulled back at Marineford"

You gulped and gave him a sheepish smile as he shook his head at you.

"So what happened while I was in a coma?" you asked.

"A lot of things happened. Ever since the war, it was like the calm before the storm. There are a lot of ripple effects for both Marines and Pirates. From what we heard, two Admirals, Akainu and Aokiji, battled each other on Punk Hazard Island for the position of Fleet Admiral after Sengoku retired for ten days leading to the change in the weather. Admiral Aokiji lost and left the Marines after that. As for his whereabouts, we are not sure-yoi" Marco explained.

You clenched your fists with grief. Your two best friends . . .fought because of their opposing ideals. Just why did things have to end like this?

"I heard from Ace that you used to be a marine before this, right? What happened?"