48 - Assassination Attempt

The next day, you heard the news that Iceburg was shot in his own home and was currently at the hospital, comatose. You already knew who was responsible for all this. While things were different back then, you cant allow yourself to be involved with the World Government just yet. It's still not the right time.

You went to the hospital to visit Iceburg when you saw Lucci and Kalifa by his bed. You sneakily walked behind them as they continue to stare at Iceburg who is unconscious.

"Why are you staring at him like that?? It's like you're up to something" you decided to speak up since they've been too silent and didn't notice you.

Their eyes widened and were startled by your presence as they turned their heads around. 'How did we not sense her presence?! We didn't hear any footsteps!!'

"(First Name), when did you get here??" Kalifa asked, trying to act composed.

"Hm?? You guys didn't hear me walk in?? I just got here to see Iceburg when I heard what happened" you replied while feigning innocence.

"We must've been unable to hear you because we were so in thought on who did this to him" Lucci replied through Hattori, covering it up.

"Hmm. I get where you're coming from. It just happened out of nowhere so it's understandable" you gave a small smile, hiding the knowing look.

You heard a grunt as you look behind them to see Iceburg opening his eyes.

"Iceburg!! Are you okay?!" you ran to the side of the bed to check on him.

"I'll go inform the others of the company about your condition," Kalifa said as she left the hospital room.

"The rest of the company and I will watch over the shipyard until you recover," Paulie said as he was about to leave but Iceburg immediately informed you that he remembered who attacked him, saying that one of them is Nico Robin.

"Huh??" You and Paulie were confused and shocked. Well, you're the most confused one. Why the hell would Robin help the assailants to assassinate Iceburg when she's the criminal herself?? Did something happen between them??

"I can confirm this and I had Lucci contact the government for more information" Kalifa walked back into the room.

"Robin is a notorious criminal and it's no surprise that she will do something so sadistic" Hattori added.

Your eyebrows furrowed into a frown. She may be a criminal but there's no reason for her to do something like this and why would she expose herself if she's gonna kill Iceburg?? It makes no sense at all.

"The next thing to do now is to find the Straw hats" Kaku stated.

"I wonder if it's because they wouldn't fix their ship" Lulu wondered.

"That's impossible. They just decided that they will abandon their ship and get a new one for replacement" you spoke up.

"How did you know that??"

"Because I was there when they made the decision. However, I do not know their motive for doing this stunt" you explained with your arms crossed. It's best to not reveal that they are innocent yet. You need more info.

"Whatever it is, the Straw hats are responsible and must be dealt with" Kaku summed it up.

"Iceburg-sama is awake!!" Tilestone charged into the room excitedly.

Paulie got annoyed and kicked Tilestone out of the room, telling him to keep it down as Iceburg needs the silence to recover. He apologized and told Paulie that Luffy and Franky are fighting and destroying the entire shipyard in the process. Paulie was angered by this and Hattori said that at least they know where to find him. Paulie left the company with the Galley-la workers to confront Luffy while Kalifa informed Iceburg that now he has the silence.