60 - Farewell, Merry

Warning!

- Emotional so prepare your tissues cuz I cried while typing this and watching the episode

You woke up shortly after that and repeatedly apologized to Paulie for falling on top of him because of your sleep attack even though he said that it was fine. Then you heard something from the comms. Its Luffy. Seems he didn't turn off his comm yet.

It turns out that Merry sailed out to sea by herself despite being badly damaged to save the crew she carried and now her keel broke and couldn't sail anymore. You heard of this legend from Franky about the spirit of ships, the Klabaurtermann when you were at Water 7.

He was begging the Galley-La shipwrights to fix Merry but it became silent for a moment until Iceburg spoke up.

"Then let her . . .rest now"

You already saw this coming and you can tell that Luffy was shocked by it.

"I've already done everything I could"

_____________________________________________________________

Flashback~

(Ah ha . . .prepare yourself. I plan to make you suffer with this)

Iceburg was walking past the scrap heap island when he heard a wooden banging sound. Curious, he walked toward the source, thinking that someone is on the island.

When he walked closer with close examination, he found the Going Merry badly damaged by the Aqua Laguna. It's in a state beyond repair.

Suddenly, he heard a voice, shocked and wondering what it was.

"I want the set sail . . ."

"I want to set sail one last time!!"

So he did as much patching as he could that night and allowed the hull to go out to sea on the next Aqua Laguna wave. When he was done, he wondered what was he doing, fixing a ship that was far from saving. He heard a call for his name from one of his workers saying that the next wave is coming.

He took his suitcase and went on his way.

"Thank you"

He was shocked when he heard it and turned his head at Merry. The ship appeared to sail off as if she had a mind of her own, sailing through the waves of Aqua Laguna. Seeing this as a sign, he went to take one of his company ships to go after it, leading him to find them now.

End of Flashback~

"I'm watching a miracle right now . . .a miracle of a ship that has long past its limits," Iceburg said. "I've been a shipwright for many years but I've never seen a pirate ship this incredible. It's lived a splendid life"

You and Paulie hear silently. No one moves as Luffy finally made his decision to finally let go. You thought of the times when you rode on Merry before you left the ship. Even though it was only for a short while, she was a magnificent ship.

The next thing that happened was the sound of a fire burning to mean that Luffy wanted to give Merry a Viking Funeral. He probably doesn't want her to feel the loneliness of the sea floor.

"Maybe it was good that Usopp wasn't here. There's no way . . .that he could bear this" Luffy said.

Does he still think that Usopp is not here? Even though he was right beside them the whole time?

It doesn't matter. Usopp finally accepted the fate of Merry. You hear the flames burning Merry to ashes as Luffy thanks her for carrying them for such a long time.

"Snow . . ." Nami muttered.

So it's snowing for them and you could hear Nami's sniffles, trying to hold back from crying. Even Chopper is crying as well. It's a shame that you couldn't see this. Maybe you should make something for Usopp to remember Merry by . . .

You could hear crashing sounds and it was silent again until . . .

"I'm sorry . . ."

You were shocked and turned to Paulie. He even looks shocked as well and continued listening to the conversation.

"I wanted to carry you even further. I'm sorry . . .I wanted to continue going on adventures with you forever"

Nami and Chopper couldn't handle it anymore and started crying.

"Merry!!" Chopper cried out.

"But I-"

"It's us who have to apologize, Merry!! I'm not good at steering . . .so I ran you into icebergs at times . . .There was a time I tore the sails too" Luffy wailed in tears. "Zoro and Sanji are stupid so they broke all sorts of things!! Usopp would fix them each time but he isn't good at it!!"

You heard sniffles from Usopp's side and your lips quivered to a sad smile. You know that it was hard for them and getting emotional is okay so you didn't say anything to ruin the moment.

"So it's us who have to . . ." Luffy sniffled and cried emotionally as it also hurts your heart, seeing Merry go.

"But I've been happy. Thank you very much . . .for taking good care of me all this time"

Now everyone couldn't keep themselves from crying but Merry spoke up.

"I really have been happy . . .because I had you"

A single tear fell from your eye and you wiped it away. It was good while it lasts. Luffy was sniffling and crying very hard that he had to part ways with one of his Nakama and he called out for her name.

"MERRY!!"