13 - Cowardice takes all

"Wh-wh-what are you doing?! You can't be serious!!"

"(First Name), you can't be serious about letting those pirates get their strength back. The restaurant will be completely taken over!!"

"That may be the case . . .if they still have the will to fight. Isn't that right, old man??" you said. The chefs are confused by your comment. Zeff chuckled. "What are you, a mind reader?? Yes, you're right"

"Tell me . . ." He turns to face Kreig. "Did your will survive defeat??"

Don Kreig is at a loss for words at Zeff's question which seems to hold more weight than any of the rest can realize. The cooks are stunned by this news.

"That can't be . . ."

"The great Don Kreig was defeated?!"

Every chef turns to look at Kreig.

"Whoa, not even he could do it," Carne said in shock. "A pirate fleet with 50 ships couldn't make it on the Grand Line!!"

"The Grand Line??" Luffy breathes.

"So he went to the Grand Line but turn tail back here. I told you, the East Blue is the tamest of all Blues so don't give me crap like you're all that" you said, folding your arms in a bored manner but still cautious.

Your words fell on deaf ears as Kreig is still in a shocked daze. "It is you, isn't it?? You're Red Foot Zeff" his surprised look turned into a sneer. "So, you're alive. The unrivalled pirate captain who was also the ship's cook"

"Yes, that's right. I'm still alive" Zeff replied calmly but also bored. "But what has any of this got to do with you?? I haven't been a pirate for many years now; I chose the life of a cook"

Kreig cackles. "Chose the life of a cook, huh?? Yeah, right. You didn't have a choice, old man. You live as a cook because the only thing you can be now is a cook. He was known far and wide. Red Foot Zeff was a master of deadly kicks who never used his hands in battle. It was said that with his mighty legs, he could crush bedrock to sand and leave footprints on solid steel. Red Foot referred to his boot which became soaked in the blood of his enemies as he kicked them down"

The pirate commodore looks at Zeff's peg leg. "You know, it is a pity that you no longer have that precious leg of yours. I heard that rumour some time ago. How unlucky for you to have such an accident at sea. Now that your greatest weapon has been sacrificed to the sea, you're defenceless; Completely unable to fight"

"I don't need to fight anymore" Zeff grunts. "I'm a cook and as long as I have my two hands for that, I'll be just fine. Enough chit-chat!! Let's get to the point. What do you want from me??" Zeff's tone is of pride and confidence, unlike Kreig's boastfulness.

Kreig smiles maliciously. "Red Foot. You're the man who sailed the perilous waters of the Grand Line and came back unscathed. Impressive. There should be a logbook detailing your tactics. A full year of your journey there. Give it to me, now!!"

Zeff doesn't openly flinch at Kreig's demand but his gaze does harden.

"Whoa, so is he saying you've been to the Grand Line too, Pops??" Luffy asked excitedly.

"Yeah" he replied like it's not that big of a deal which is not far-fetched cuz you went through a whole lot of trouble just to cross the entries of the Grand Line. They're all dangerous but you managed to get through it thx to sheer determination.

"My logbook, huh?? You're right. I do indeed have a record of my travels . . .but I will never hand it over to you" The smirk Kreig wore on his face morphs into a frown. "You ignorant brute. That logbook is sacred to me; it's the pride of the crewmen that I sailed with. It is far too important to give to you"