NINETEEN

- CHAPTER 19 -

❝Am i really that unbearable?❞

Am i really that unbearable?

Hogwarts, before Hogsmeade.

JAMES POTTER WAS DEVASTATED. The boy was going to ask Lily out on a date when he had accidentally heard the girl talking to Marlene.

"He is just so annoying Marlene, there's no way im saying yes!" she said to the blonde girl.

"Cmon Lils, just give him a chance."

"No! He's absolutely horrid, i'm never saying yes," Lily replied with a scoff.

With hurt present in his eyes, the boy walked away from the two and headed towards the Black Lake. Hidden behind the big tree, James could see a black haired boy with a book present on his lap.

Without saying a single word, James sat next to Regulus and let out a detached sigh.

"Hey," he said with a sad smile.

Regulus looked at him and raised an eyebrow. James Potter being so down? Impossible.

"Want a cigarette?" he asked.

James nodded his head and started smoking with Regulus right by his side. The two were sitting in a comfortable silence while staring at the Black Lake.

"Am i really that unbearable Reg?"

Regulus looked at the boy with a frown. He was staring at his hands, tears ready to fall out of his eyes at any given moment.

"Who told you that?" he asked with confusion.

"No one. I-I just thought i was annoying, thats all," he replied with hesitation.

"Was it Lily?"

At his mention of the girl, James looked up at the sky and blinked his tears away. All his time at Hogwarts, James had talked about his feelings with the girl very openly.

Not because he was obsessed or because he had wanted to embarrass her, it was only because he had loved the girl so very dearly.

From the very beginning, James has had an extreme fear of abandonment. It wasn't because of his family or friends, no. It had just been with him from the very start.

At first, Lily would just say no. But now, ever since their fifth year, she had started to say a lot more than that. James almost gave up at the beginning of their sixth year, but he was sure that Lily would've changed after the holidays.

However, all his expectations were crushed when Lily constantly started telling him how horrible he actually was.

"I'm horrible, aren't I?" he asked again with a sigh.

"Don't go all depressed on me now Potter," Regulus said with a nudge.

James looked at the boy and smiled. He knew that Regulus was absolutely horrible at comforting others. But after these past few weeks, even being in the presence of the younger Black had comforted him deeply.

"Shouldn't you be getting ready for Hogsmeade?" James asked.

"I don't go to Hogsmeade. Mother used to say it was rather, 'unprofessional'."

"Well, mother isn't here now, is she?" he said with a smirk.

"No one asked me out in the first place jolis yeux."

"Hm? Let's go together then!"

Regulus looked at the boy and shook his head. He still wasn't used to being so free and deep inside, he was still very scared.

He was scared that even after running away, his parents would haunt him everywhere he would go. He was scared that no matter how much he would hide, his parents would always find him.

"I wouldn't want to be a bother," he said with a shrug.

"Trust me Reg, it'll be fun!"

Regulus stayed silent at his words. Hearing no reply, James looked at the boy and poked his arm.

No reply.

He poked again.

Regulus looked over and grabbed the boy's hand with his and stared into his eyes.

Jolis yeux, James definitely has the most beautiful eyes Regulus had ever seen.

When James refused to look away, he let out a defeated sigh and said,

"Okay, fine. But don't make me regret it."