THIRTY-THREE

- CHAPTER 33 -

❝And what if I died alone?❞

And what if I died alone?

Muggle village, summer break.

THAT WAS THE LAST TIME Sirius had seen Gideon Prewett. Every single day, he'd pray to see the boy once more. Even if it was just for a second, even if it was just a glimpse, he had to see the boy with his own two eyes.

So, he went out on a mission. He went out on a mission to see his boyfriend while he was on patrol, as a dog. He couldn't risk being seen as himself, so he travelled in his animagus form.

When he reached the muggle village, he could see the redhead seated with his eyes roaming around the place carefully.

At that, the dog's tail started wagging profoundly. Since Gideon did not know of his animgaus form, Sirius took a risk once more and walked towards the young boy with reluctance.

Gideon looked at him and let out a small smile. The boy had loved dogs, they were his favourite animal after all.

"Hey there, where are you off to?" he said while rubbing the place behind the dog's ear.

At this, Sirius sighed contently. It had been a long time since he'd been with Gideon and now, seeing him safe and very much alive, he couldn't help but feel happy.

"You've got eyes like my boyfriend."

Sirius looked at him and wagged his tail some more. Talk about him, talk about your boyfriend, please.

"Aren't you an excited little boy. Well, my boyfriend is the best partner I could've ever asked for. Though, I wish i'd tell him how much I love him. Yeah, stupidly enough, i haven't yet. I was actually hoping to propose to him. I just wish that i'll be able to go back to him sooner."

If he wasn't in his animagus form, Sirius was sure that he would have melted into the arms of his redhead while crying his eyes out.

This world was cruel, it was so very cruel. Tearing two lovers apart, ruining families every day, killing innocent people for absolutely no reason, it was all so unfair.

Reluctantly, Sirius started to turn around and leave. But before he did, he looked back at the boy once more and said something in his mind.

I love you Gideon Prewett, I always have, and I always will.

Suddenly, he heard a loud crashing noise. And at that moment, all hell broke lose.

He could see black smoke everywhere and suddenly, he realised that it was death eaters. All he could hear was spells being casted left and right. At one moment, he heard someone scream.

"GIDEON!"

And the next moment, he was running towards the voice with only one thing in his mind. No, it can't be.

He heard another scream and right after that, he could see the death eaters apparating away. As soon as they were gone, he transformed back into a human and ran towards the place where he had met Gideon.

And there, amongst all the the dirt and debris was Gideon Prewett. His Gideon Prewett.

The boy's body was limp but there was one thing that had broken Sirius completely. Even at his last moment, he had a small smile present on his face.

"G-Giddy, you promised," he said while sobs took over his whole body.

The boy sat there with his boyfriend's hand close to his chest. It was as if Gideon would wake up once he would realise that Sirius was sitting right next to him.

"Sirius, would you visit my grave if something was to happen?" the redhead asked curiously.

"No, I would not. Because i'd be there by your side, a grave right next to yours."

Gideon looked at the boy and raised his eyebrows with amusement present on his face.

"And what if I died alone?" he asked with hesitation.

"Then I would die too."

Gideon sighed, this conversation was going nowhere.

"Sirius, promise me that you'll live for the both of us if something were to happen? One of us has to live you know, for the record player at least," he said with a wink.

At first, he was greeted with silence. And when the boy asked the question once more, Sirius replied to him with hesitation present in his voice.

"Fine, I promise."

"Sirius.." came the shocked voice of James Potter.

Sirius looked at him with tearful eyes and at that moment, James could not see his best friend, but only a broken boy with devastation all across his face.