FOURTY

- CHAPTER 40 -

Welcome home.

Hogwarts, seventh year.

EVER SINCE THEY WERE YOUNG, the kids of Hogwarts had been taught one thing in particular. No matter where you are, or where you come from, Hogwarts will always be your home.

And now, after all the things that they had gone through, they weren't so sure about it anymore. Being in Hogwarts after the war had been extremely painful for the poor students.

The place looked empty, so incredibly empty. Even though there were quite a lot of students present, the emptiness would not go away.

For Sirius, even if you put him in the middle of the Quidditch pitch and surround him with people from all across the world, he would still feel lonely. He would still feel like somebody was missing.

"Welcome students, welcome home."

For Professor Dumbledore, giving the speech felt like a hard task. Every year, he would say whatever he had on his mind. He would treat the kids as his own.

But now, every time he'd go forward to speak, Dumbledore would feel like he was walking on eggshells at all times.

"Let the feast begin, shall we?"

The Potters had already talked to the headmaster about their daughter's condition. At one point, Minerva had almost broken down.

Out of all of the students, she had been closer to Phoenyx the most. The girl would always spend time with her old Professor when she was free.

"Nyx, cmon, you've got to eat," Remus said with a nudge.

Phoenyx looked over at him and smiled. She was getting a lot better at handling everything, and she knew that none of it would've been possible without Remus by her side.

"Padfoot, aren't you gonna eat?"

Everyone was so occupied that they didn't notice the black haired boy staring at the empty spots a few seats away from them. Ever since they sat down, he had been looking at the spot with a faraway look etched across his face.

The seats of Fabian and Gideon Prewett. Even though the seat right next to him was empty too, he could only focus on the one that belonged to his redhead.

He wasn't crying, he wasn't speaking, he was just staring. It was as though at one point, he could see the boy sitting there and winking at him while eating his food.

At that, Sirius let out a small smile. If Gideon was here, he would definitely throw a piece of tomato right on his face. Sirius hated tomatoes, he knew that.

"Yeah, let's eat."

Even though it had been a few months since the war, the elder witches and wizards had done a great job by fixing the place up. During the war, a lot of Hogwarts had been completely destroyed. And now, everything looked almost like normal.

Thankfully, the dormitories had been completely alright. Their things left untouched, it was as if they never left in the first place.

When the boys first walked into their dorm, they felt a twinge of sadness hit them away. Their things were kept exactly where they left them.

Books all across one bed, a broom thrown on one bed, a record player on one bed, and chocolate wrappers surrounding one bed.

Looking at the chocolate wrappers, they could feel their eyes tear up. No, they were not crying for him. They were crying for their friendship, for their bond.

"Bloody hell, we should burn that shit up."

During the night, the boys could barely sleep. At one point, Sirius started playing songs on his record player. He closed his eyes and starting pretending.

He imagined that Gideon was laying right next to him. Running his hands through his hair, humming the song with content, and littering his face with soft kisses.

His imagination, it was going crazy. And just like that, Sirius went into another dreamless sleep with the thought of Gideon clouding his whole entire mind.

James could feel the tension in the room. He knew Sirius missed Gideon, and Remus missed having Peter to share chocolates with.

With small tears falling out of his face, James fell into a slumber hoping that the pain would finally go away.

On the other side of the room, Remus had decided to get up and go towards the astronomy tower. Whenever he couldn't sleep, he would go up there and look at the stars.

"Nyx?" he had asked with desperation.

"I'm here Remus," to which she had replied.

And with zero hesitation, the boy melted into the arms of Phoenyx Potter. Only this time, they weren't friends, they were much more than that.

"Want me to read you a book Lupin?"