THIRTY-FIVE

- CHAPTER 35 -

❝Can I sit here?❞

Can I sit here?

HOGWARTS.

AT THE SIGHT OF PETER, James could feel his knees go weak. He felt like everything was a joke. Like all of a sudden, Peter would start laughing and everything would be okay.

Remus was angry, he was so very angry. He could feel a twinge of sadness but overall, he felt like murdering the rat with his own bare hands.

And Sirius? Sirius could feel his world crumble apart. He felt numb, so incredibly numb.

"Peter.."

There were tears present in the boy's eyes. As if he was a child caught in the act by one of his parents.

"James I-I can explain!"

James could feel himself shaking his head at the boy in disbelief. Explain? What was there left to explain?

"L-Listen to me! Please, the Dark Lord, H-He could've killed me!"

"I would've died Peter! I would've died rather than betray my own friends!" Remus shouted in fury.

The boys could feel themselves let out cries at the scene. The Marauders, who had grown up together, spent every single second of their lives together. Loved together, laughed together, how could this have happened to them?

They would always think of growing old with each other. To even spend their last dying breaths in each others arms and to spend all of eternity as the brothers they had always been.

Yes, seeing someone you love pass away does hurt. But betrayal? Betrayal feels like being stabbed all over your body again and again. It feels like you lived your whole life as a lie, as an act.

It feels like even the closest person to you, the one you love the most, wasn't even yours to begin with.

"Avada Kedavra!"

And as the blonde haired boy's body went limp, the Marauders could also feel themselves falling to the ground. The once at the top Marauders, were nothing at all at this moment in life.

James pulled the two boys closer to his chest, and the three cried away their sorrows in silence.

They weren't weeping because their friend was dead, no.

They were weeping because the one person they trusted the most, the one person that they had held close to them the most, turned out to be the monster that they were all afraid of becoming.

Once, during their fifth year at Hogwarts, the boys had made a promise. A promise that in five years, or ten, no matter where they were in life, they'd come together and relive their memories once more.

They'd bring their their kids and their partners. Together, they'd be like a one big family. They would force their kids to become best friends too, no matter how much time it took them.

Later, when they would grow old, they'd buy a big house and spend their last moments together. Causing mischief even during their last few days and dying with love and happiness all around.

The Marauders could see themselves going back in time, the moment were they all had first met, it was nothing but a horrible memory now.

"Excuse me, can i sit here?" asked a small boy nervously.

"Of course, come on in!"

"I'm James, James Potter!"

"I'm Remus Lupin."

"Sirius Black."

"Oh, erm, I'm Peter, Peter Pettigrew."

Sirius could feel himself shaking and crying hysterically. Not just for Peter, but for Gideon as well.

For the past few days, Sirius had tried his best to stay strong. But now, looking at the person who was behind Gideon's death, everything had started to feel a lot more real.

Peter, his own best friend, his brother, how could he be so cruel? Perhaps it was his fault after all, for befriending Peter.

Maybe if they weren't friends, he wouldn't have joined the Order. Maybe if they weren't friends, Gideon would still be alive.

"Remus! I-It's Phoenyx, quick!"