Cursed Spirit: Footsteps

[Preview]

-VL-

That said, there was an old story.

A man was cursed for breaking a taboo inherited from his ancestors. His soul will not rest after death, continuing to wander looking for the sins of the humans to be judged. The sound of a bell was said to be a sign of its being around.

"Bell ringing? Why does it have to be a bell ringing to signal his presence?"

Henry turned to William who was frowning deeply at the story. "Because he was a dancer," Henry answered lightly. "One of the male dancers in this village. Why do you think that every time we walk down the path, every house is surrounded by bells? Of course to confuse the citizens if the cursed person comes! Could it be from the bells that were placed in those houses earlier, right? That's what they think."

"It's just a myth, they're all too paranoid," Clark mused in boredom. "This place is indeed known as a place where you can find bells anywhere."

"Don't be so blunt, what if that cursed soul hears it and haunts you?" Henry made a horrified but definitely playful facial expression, while making ghostly voices.

Clark wasn't impressed at all. "It's more likely that he will haunt you than me."

"Hey!"

"What?" Clark answered Henry's protest nonchalantly.

While William still seemed to be thinking hard. "What taboo did he break?"

"I don't know." Henry shook his head.

"Heartbroken by the death of his lover who was accused of being a witch, he danced under a waterfall during a lunar eclipse in the hope that it would bring his lover's soul back to life. That could mean he was going to ally with another realm creature."

They quickly shifted their attention when the explanation was given by someone behind their bedroom door which was a sliding door with thin wood, after which the door opened to the side and revealed a black-haired man smiling faintly at them while holding a tray containing several glasses of tea.

Henry immediately stood up and walked towards their bedroom door in a hurry. "I'm sorry if it was rude of us to talk about it openly," Henry said guiltily, but the man laughed.

"It's alright, it's a common occurrence when visitors talk about the myths of this village."

A chill came over William as the man's gaze rested on him for a few moments, William refrained from rubbing the back of his neck so as not to sound presumptuous. "Uh ... we don't seem to have ordered anything since we came and made a reservation," William said quietly, staring at the tray.

The eyes of the man in front of him also glanced at the tray. "Oh, it's free." His pale lips pulled upwards after answering. "To welcome every guest who visits here." His feet stepped into the room after Henry gave him permission. "Please, enjoy."

William watched him, up and down. He had jet black hair with loose bangs that almost covered his platinum eyes, a tall stature with almost porcelain skin, well-built shoulders but a relaxed gesture. Soon, their gazes met. William didn't flinch at all, he was just bewitched by the smile plastered on the man's face.

The deep voice when the man said goodbye to go tickled William's ears, he was fascinated. William didn't look away at all, he watched him walk out of the room.

A rhythm of soft footsteps was created as the wooden floor creaked with each step.