College AU: Priority

[SPOILER]

---

Michael walked with his eyes glued to the ground, he pursed his lips together as his head was going through many things at once that were happening recently. He glanced at his three friends who stepped behind him, they were joking. Then he focused his gaze on Mark, who seemed like he was about to hit Simon for being teased. Michael exhaled, this was a bit tiring.

He ignored Alec who was trying to talk him out of it, he wasn't in the right mood. His argument with Ennard a few days ago still haunted him, it worried him a little. He didn't want anything to happen between himself and Ennard.

"Mike, come on, what's wrong with you?" Now Simon who asked, Simon stepped hand in hand with him.

He sighed. "Nothing."

"You fought with Ennard?"

"Yes."

Simon locked eyes with Alec immediately after that, then with Mark. Mark just shrugged his shoulders. "What happened?" he asked again, Simon sounding serious.

The eldest Afton raised his eyebrows. "That's not important to know." Michael turned his gaze the other way, he ignored Simon who still tried to persuade him to tell them, but his stare briefly collided with Mark's and Mark quickly broke their eye contact.

They started walking again, Simon had finally given up trying to persuade him and he was relieved that he wasn't trying to force him anymore. He appreciated Simon and Alec's concern, of course, but for now he didn't really want them to know. Everything felt complicated and hard to explain. Michael pursed his lips again, his brows knit together again when he caught the figure of Ennard walking from a distance—Ennard heading towards them. Michael stopped, confusion clear on his face.

Ennard looked furious.

This didn't seem like a good sign, he had prepared himself to argue with the man again, even though he didn't really want to fight. He just wanted them to go back to how they used to be. Ennard was getting closer, his friends began to notice Ennard's arrival and stopped walking as well.

Michael was about to open his mouth, but no words came out as his eyes widened at how quickly Ennard slammed his fist against Mark.

"Hey! What are you doing?!" Alec glared at Ennard angrily while Simon held Mark from falling over after that. Mark held his cheek, he looked surprised and it was obvious he didn't expect that to happen.

"You better watch your mouth, bastard." Ennard ignored Alec, he growled at Mark who was also confused. He was about to step forward to Mark again, but Michael immediately put himself in their midst. Ennard gritted his teeth, he clenched his fists tightly. "Stay out of there, Afton."

"No." Michael narrowed his eyes at Ennard. "The problem here is you. You hit him for no reason at all, only out of anger."

"Oh I have a reason, Afton." Ennard snorted as if he was holding back a chuckle, then his expression cooled down again. "Not the same reason as what you're thinking right now. Get out of the way now, don't make this into another issue."

"Another issue?" Michael replied in disbelief. "I'm not trying to cause more trouble with you! You created the problem yourself!" He took a step forward at Ennard. "There is no good reason for your anger at Mark!"

"You know nothing!" The snap at least made Michael aghast. "You don't know anything, stop acting you know everything!"

Michael gritted his teeth in anger. "I wouldn't have known if you didn't tell me from the start!"

"I have tried! And what did you do? You ignored it!" Ennard took another step toward Michael, and Michael took a reflexive step back. He had never seen Ennard this mad. "You put this asshole first just because he's your close friend!"

"Then isn't that the same as you and McGarden?!" Michael snapped back. "You always put him first too, don't be a hypocrite, Ennard!"

"And I told you there is nothing between me and Daniel!"

"Then why don't you entrust me with Mark?"

Ennard pinched the bridge of his nose tiredly. "I told you it's not what you think, Afton," he growled. "I would really appreciate it if you stay away and let me talk to that rascal."

Michael didn't move, he didn't budge at all from where he was, just stared at Ennard intently.

"Afton, get out of my way."

Michael's brows knit together, he whispered. "No ...."

"Afton—"

"Noah!"

The call distracted Ennard who then looked back, Mark took the opportunity to push Ennard away from Michael and pulled Michael closer to him. Ennard growled again at Mark, but Daniel had arrived in a frantic and held his hand. Michael stared at Ennard with an indecipherable expression.

"Noah," Daniel said again as soon as Ennard gave him a sharp look. "Noah please, I'm okay, you don't have to do that. Come on, let's just go."

Ennard shifted his attention to Michael, Michael looked disappointed, but he was furious. He grabbed Daniel's arm and finally pulled Daniel away from there, leaving Michael with his friends.

Michael pressed his lip line together, his chest felt tight. He felt the top of his head being gently patted, then Mark spoke up.

"I think now we know who he would choose between you and McGarden."