Browncent/Old AU: Groceries

[Vincent x William]

-VL-

"Daddy, Daddy can I buy a new plushie?" Elizabeth tugged at her father's sleeve eagerly.

William nodded. "Sure, Lizzie." He turned to his son-in-law who was talking to his eldest son. "Noah, go with Elizabeth and accompany her to buy plushies."

The blonde-haired man looked back at him and smiled broadly. "No problem, Mr Afton!" He quickly approached Elizabeth before taking the little girl's hand, then he lifted Elizabeth onto his shoulder and let her sit there. "What plushie do you want to buy this time, Liz?"

"Hmm, looks like I still don't have a stuffed rabbit."

"Why do you need a stuffed rabbit when you already have your father?"

"Hey." William hit Noah's arm in annoyance while Noah and Elizabeth laughed together. William stared at the departure of the two of them still with an irritated expression, then he took a slow breath and let it out slowly. After that he shifted his attention to Michael and Chris. "You two, you can go to somewhere else while I will buy the monthly groceries."

Michael looked at him a little doubtfully, Chris in his arms said nothing. "Are you sure you'll be okay, Father?"

His eyebrows were pulled upwards. "Why won't I be okay?" William flashed a faint smile. "It's just some groceries, Mike."

"But handling it alone must be a little tiring ..."

"Then what else should I do? Vincent isn't with us," he cut Michael off quickly, his tone one of suppressed anger. "You two just go, I can handle this alone." William slightly pushed Michael's back to immediately step away from the supermarket section.

Michael and Chris were still looking at him, they both looked hesitate but he put on a firm expression that his decision was final, so they left the place—seemingly towards the bookstore section of the mall.

William watched until the two of them had completely disappeared from his sight, then he turned to the line of trolleys and pulled one out. The goal was to pick out some fresh vegetables and fruits before buying some cartons of milk, after that grab some frozen food and seasonings. They still have a few meats in their house. He was also contemplating what to cook today for his children while getting the things he needed.

A little tiring to take care of all the household chores alone, he was lucky that his children always help his with the daily chores. A spark of exasperation was created again in his heart, his brother never again tried to participate to help him. Hell, the last time he'd seen him had been like two weeks ago and Vincent hadn't made any appearances until recently.

He didn't know where the man went, nor he cares at this point. Really. All questions always end in fights, fights end with Vincent saying that he has never tried to understand his current condition and was being selfish.

"Me? Selfish? Screw you, you son of a bitch," William muttered angrily as he put a carton of milk into the trolley.

He was about to grab the last carton of strawberry flavored milk on the cooler when someone else was about to take it too. William stopped, he seemed a little surprised and he exchanged glances with the man in front of him who was equally surprised. The two of them stared at each other awkwardly, William in the end scanned the person up and down. He was taller than him, his ivory hair was a mess—the clothes he was wearing were even wrinkled, as if the man had just come in a hurry and didn't have time to iron them.

William sighed, he could give a reason later why he didn't buy strawberry milk for his daughter. "You can take it," he said as he pulled his trolley and left.