Royal AU: My King

[Vincent x William]

-VL-

William stepped inside the practice room only to find his eldest son practicing the sword himself. Michael noticed his presence quickly and immediately stopped his training, as he stepped closer to the man. Michael put his sword in its scabbard and smiled.

"Morning, Father," Michael greeted warmly.

William only nodded at the greeting. "You practice without being asked first? Even coming earlier than the others, very surprising."

Michael puffed out his cheeks in annoyance. "So what? I can't do that now?" He crossed his arms in irritation while William suppressed a chuckle. "Later when people have coming then I will skip the training."

"You punk."

Michael chuckled, William shook his head knowingly.

"Go call the others immediately," William ordered which was then replied with an enthusiastic nod by Michael who soon ran out.

William's blue eyes slightly rounded because at the same time a man also stepped in to meet Michael, they briefly greeted each other before Michael ran back to do what he had told him to do. William felt his shoulders tighten, as those pair of piercing eyes finally noticed his presence and were startled.

"Your Majesty, good morning."

His deep voice chilled the hairs on the back of his neck, William felt his face warm but his heart throbbed painfully. "Good morning, General Morgan."

He didn't return the General's smile at all, could only avert his eyes away slowly while trying to calm down. This royal attire was starting to stifle him and he wanted to get away quickly. The sound of feet clad in boots on the marble floor echoed in the quiet room, drawing closer to him. William took a deep breath and let it out slowly, then raised his head to meet their eyes.

"It seems I still haven't told you about today's agenda." He saw Vincent take out a small parchment from his trouser pocket, that handsome and serious face caught his attention. "First of all ..."

Vincent's voice was fading in his ears, images of the past began to form a thick fog in his mind. It felt longing. It felt sting. The mixed feeling was hurting. The tightness in his chest was increasing, as if it were blocking his throat and denying the air he was taking in. His vision starting to blur, William clenched his fists so hard that his fingernails penetrated his skin, his lips pressed together tightly.

"My king? Are you okay?"

The question broke all of his reverie, William found himself close to tears. His hands instantly hid the face he had turned to the side and he laughed nervously. "Don't mind me. Where were we? There is a meeting with the ministry?"

The skeptical expression on Vincent's face was showing. "... Right, after two o'clock in the afternoon." Then he was silent for a moment, his brows starting to knit together. "Are you really all right, Your Highness?"

"Of course!" William covered his mouth quickly when he realized he had snapped. "I'm sorry," he muttered softly.

"You can tell me, Your Majesty."

"No, there's no need." William hugged himself tightly for a few moments, his gaze still to the side. William raised his eyebrows and bit the inside of his cheek. "Don't worry about me, I'm just thinking about a new strategic matter for the military, just continue with the agenda—"

"William."

The ocean-blue eyes widened, rolling quickly to the soldier in front of him. His tongue was numb, he had not heard his name called directly from the man's mouth for a long time.

Vincent's gaze was calm, but there was an inexplicable twinkle in his platinum eyes. "I've known you for a long time, William. You can't fool me with cheap excuses like that." Vincent looked at him earnestly, before letting out a heavy breath. "I'll clear your agenda so you can rest today."

"I'm really fine ... don't underestimate me, Vincent."

"I didn't mean to sound like that." Vincent pinched the bridge of his nose before looking directly at William again. "You've been working too hard lately. Conferences with other kingdoms, charity events with the society, meetings about royal revenues, visits to places that need refinement. No rest at all for you, your eye bags are even more obvious!"

By reflex William immediately touched the skin under his eyes, his cheeks heated up with embarrassment. "Then? I'm used to it, what do you expect anyway? It has become my responsibility."

"Take a break." William watched Vincent put the parchment back. "At least for one day, don't be stubborn. Or do you have a request for you to rest?"

I want you.

William lowered his gaze. "Vincent," he called lowly. "Why can't we be together anymore ...."

Silence fell for a moment.

William raised his head and looked at Vincent who just stood there, not giving any reaction. He couldn't think straight as he stepped closer to the general and grabbed both hands which felt hard and rough. "Please, Vincent—I want," his voice trailed off and he tightened his grip. "Vincent ... please ...."

"Your Majesty."

His hands gently clasped back, William looked at the black-haired man full of despair. A warm smile appeared on Vincent's face, directed only at him. "You are our leader, don't beg like that."

William gritted his teeth. "I don't care! Vincent—"

"William." Vincent cut his words quickly, then his whisper was low. "I can't, we can't, William."

His heart was crushed, his eyelids filled with tears. It hurts. He just wanted to be with the one he loved, why was that so impossible? William felt his strength disappear, he couldn't keep his balance, slowly fell to his knees in front of the man, still tightly gripping the hand. In the end, the tears that had been held back dripped onto the polished marble floor which reflected the reflection of his weeping face. He looked pitiful.

"Forgive me, My King."