Chapter 4- Things I Didn't Know

Chapter 4

I opened my eyes, yawning loudly. I stretched my arms and looked around the room.

Hermione and Ginny were still fast asleep.

I climbed out of bed and into the shower, trying to wash away all of my bad thoughts. I walked back into the bedroom and pulled on some clothes. I left my just cleaned hair down, and skipped down the stairs.

I was in a good mood.

Fred and George were sitting at the table, eating toast. Mrs. Weasley was talking to Sirius quietly at the back of the room.

Fred grinned,

“What are you doing up so early?”

I sat down next to him,

“I don’t know. I’m just in a good mood, I’m guessing.”

George passed me a piece of toast,

“I bet you’re hungry.”

I laughed,

“Thanks. I’m always hungry.”

He nodded,

“Me too. I could have five chocolate frogs right now.”

I frowned,

“What’s a chocolate frog?”

Fred looked at me,

“Ava Potter. I think it is my duty to teach you the ways of the wizards.”

“I’m not that clueless.”

He raised an eyebrow,

“You know pretty much nothing. You’ve been living the life of a muggle for far too long.”

“What’s a muggle?”

He laughed,

“A good start! A muggle is a person without magic abilities.”
I nodded,

“Right… so all the kids at my care home were… muggles?”

“Correct! I’m so proud of you.”

I whacked his arm,

“No need to be patronising.”

Mrs. Weasley glanced up at us,

“I need to have a private talk with Sirius. Would you mind going to another room?”

George bit his lip,

“We can’t go to our room, Fred. It’s full of pranks. Ones that haven’t yet been tried and tested.”

I shrugged,

“Come on then, crazy boys. Come to my room. We have to talk quietly though. Hermione and Ginny are still asleep.”

We crept upstairs, and all sat cross-legged on my bed. I whispered,

“So, what’s a chocolate frog?”

George grinned,

“It’s chocolate, in the shape of a frog. Unfortunately, they can jump around a little. But when you get one, you collect a card each time. It will have a picture of a famous witch or wizard on there.”

Fred nodded,

“Then there’s Bertie Bott’s Every Flavour Beans. You never know what flavour they’re going to be! Some taste nice, like strawberries. Others…”

George finished his sentence,

“… Taste like vomit or earwax. It’s just luck, I guess…”

For the next hour, the twins were telling me about things which seemed so magical. I couldn’t believe there was this whole world I’d never noticed before. Now, I knew there were so many things to love.

A thought had been whirling around my head for a bit. I finally blurted it out,

“Who is You-Know-Who?”

Fred looked at George nervously,

“Most people don’t like to say his name. You-Know-Who is… Lord Voldemort.”

I twirled my hair around my finger, not daring to look at the boys,

“He… he killed my parents, didn’t he?”

They both nodded. We sat in silence for a couple of minutes.

Hermione yawned loudly,

“What are you guys doing up and dressed?”

George shrugged,

“We’re just teaching Ava the wonders of the wizarding world.”

She pulled the covers back and got up, stretching her arms,

“May take a while.”

She shook Ginny,

“Come on, let’s get some breakfast.”

George muttered,

“I think we should have a little break for a minute.”

He got up and walked out slowly. Fred stood up to do the same, but I grabbed onto his sleeve. He turned around, and I whispered,

“I dream about it every night. I still remember the moment my parents were killed.”