Chapter 47- Birthday Bash

Chapter 47

“Did I hear correctly that it’s your birthday tomorrow?”

I frowned at Draco,

“How did you find out?”

I knew Sirius had been telling everyone, but how had Draco found out?

He sneered,

“I heard Potter mention it to the Weasel. Are you expecting any presents?”

I shook my head,

“Not from you, don’t worry.”

Eleanor asked,

“Are you planning to do anything special?”

“I can’t really, can I? It’s a school day.”

Draco and Zach got up from the table. Eleanor and I quickly followed.

I remembered what Fred had told me. Meet me outside the Great Hall after dinner.

I just needed to get away from the Slytherins without them noticing me.

There was a whole crowd of people leaving the Great Hall just behind us, so I slowed down and then bent down to tie up my shoelace. I heard a couple of irritated murmurs from the people who I’d stopped in front of, but they just walked around me.

Without being too obvious, I looked up. Eleanor was still walking on. It appeared she hadn’t noticed me.

I got up quickly and made my way over to the entrance. Fred was leaning against the wall, looking thoughtful.

I nudged him,

“Hey, Freddo. I managed to get away from Eleanor.”

He grinned at me,

“Ava! Come with me, quickly.”

He took hold of my hand and pulled me down the corridor. I giggled,

“What’s this about?”

He spoke softly so no one else would hear,

“Some of us have been planning your birthday party in the Shrieking Shack for months now. We just need to get away without anyone seeing us.”

My face lit up,

“Really? A birthday party?”

Fred nodded,

“We thought it would be a nice break from… everything else. So, what do you say?”

I squeezed his hand,

“It sounds fantastic! Thank you Fred! So are we leaving now?”

A sharp voice cut through the corridor,

“You won’t be leaving at all, Potter.”

My heart stopped. Draco, Zach and Eleanor were standing in front of us with their arms crossed.

Draco smiled slyly,

“Did you really think we wouldn’t notice you slipping away into the crowd?”

I gulped, not knowing what to say.

He laughed,

“You won’t be going to this little ‘birthday party’. You’ll stay in the Slytherin common room like you’re supposed to.”

I took a deep breath,

“Why won’t you let me go? Just this once?”

“Because, Ava, you shouldn’t be going off to party with that sort of crowd.”