Chapter 52- Never Coming Back

Chapter 52

The Slytherin common room was emptier than usual, and I wondered if lots of people had got put into detention by Umbridge. Then I realised she favours the Slytherins the most.

I sat down next to Eleanor and smiled at her. She opened her mouth to say something but Draco interrupted.

“So, what did McGonagall want to talk to you about?”

I realised I’d completely forgotten about my discussion with her.

“She says that I need to stay at Hogwarts for another year to complete my education. I need to cram as much in as possible so that I learn everything I have to know.”

I looked up at Draco and I realised Zach wasn’t sitting next to him. Instead, he was on the other side of Eleanor.

Draco nodded,

“Good. That’s good. That’s perfect.”

I frowned,

“Perfect for what?”

“Your future. It means we’ll get the best out of you.”

I frowned, just as Eleanor muttered under her breath,

“Draco.”

I realised it was a warning. She was telling him to stop talking. He just turned to her,

“Now, now Eleanor. Just because not all of us plan to do what our parents want us to do doesn’t mean you have to stop Ava from doing what she’s destined to do as well.”

I looked from Draco to Eleanor, not understanding what was going on. She turned back to me,

“Are you glad to be staying back for another year?”

I nodded,

“It will help me, won’t it?”

I wasn’t sure whether or not this was true, but I needed to sound like I was happy about it. At that moment, I didn’t have a clue what I thought about it.

Draco cleared his throat,

“It will help you fulfil your potential. You’re more powerful than you think.”

I looked down,

“No I’m not. You don’t need to lie to me.”

“Believe me, Ava. If you stay back for the next year, you’ll become much better at using your magic. You can then, unlike Eleanor, use it for the greater good. You can make a difference. I can help you do that.”

I gulped,

“I don’t know what you mean.”

He shrugged,

“I’ll guide you down the path that’s right for you. Don’t worry.”

Wordlessly, Eleanor stood up and left the common room. Zach wavered for a moment before following her into the dormitory.”

I stared after them.

“Draco, I don’t really understand what you’re trying to say to me. Sometimes, you talk in complete riddles. It confuses me.”

He looked at me with piercing grey eyes and took a deep breath,

“I can’t tell you the truth, Ava. You just have to trust me.”

I studied him closely. Could I see tears in his eyes? I blinked, and any sign of tears was gone. He looked troubled though. It seemed like the confident part of Draco Malfoy had been replaced with a scared and worried part.

I managed a small smile,

“Okay. As long as you trust me.”

He nodded silently, and I stood up,

“I’m going to bed now. I’ll see you in the morning.”

He mumbled a reply and turned away. Before he could say anything else, I made my way over to the dormitory and opened the door.

Eleanor and Zach were sitting on the edge of her bed, their lips gently touching. Zach’s hands were tangled in Eleanor’s long blonde hair, and I could see she had tears shining on her cheeks.

Zach pulled away and looked at me, his cheeks flooding with colour. I smiled sheepishly at them,

“Sorry, I didn’t mean to intrude-”

Eleanor stood up,

“It’s fine, Ava. It’s absolutely fine.”

I could see the smallest of smiles on her face, but I ignored it and stepped back out of the room,

“I’ll give you two a bit of time alone.”

*                    *                    *

The next morning, Draco was already sitting at the Slytherin table when I got down to the Great Hall with Zach and Eleanor.

Draco’s face scrunched up in confusion as Zach and Eleanor sat down next to each other instead of opposite. They smiled at each other, their cheeks flushed.

I sat down next to Draco and stifled a laugh as he watched Zach feed Eleanor a piece of toast. I nudged him,

“Draco, you don’t need to look quite so confused. You should be happy for your friends.”

He turned to me and shook his head,

“I never realised that was going to happen.”

I shrugged,

“Don’t worry, Draco. One day you’ll find a girl. How about Pansy Parkinson?”

He shot me a dirty look,

“I’m fine for now, thanks.

 I raised my eyebrows,

“Don’t come running to me when you suddenly realise you’re in love with Pansy. I won’t be helping you then.”

“Ava, just because Fred’s gone doesn’t mean you have to take the mickey out of me for not being in a relationship either. He’s gone, and he’s obviously not coming back. Don’t act like you’re all high and mighty when you’re a hell of a lot lonelier than I am.”

I stared at him like he’d slapped me in the face and stood up. Zach and Eleanor had stopped their romantic looks and were staring at me, their faces sympathetic.

I began to walk towards the exit of the Great Hall. Draco quickly followed me and grabbed onto my sleeve,

“Stop ignoring it, Ava. He’s never going to come back.”

A couple of people on the other tables had turned to look at us. My eyes filled with tears as I pulled my arm out of Draco’s grip,

“Don’t you ever tell me that Fred is gone, Draco Malfoy. He’ll come back. I know he will. He wouldn’t just leave and not come back for me.”

“I’m telling you this so you don’t get hurt. If you carry on waiting for him, you’re going to be very disappointed. Let go of him.”

I shouted,

“I can’t!”

I ignored the fact that Harry, Ron, Hermione and Ginny were watching me as I stormed out of the hall. I’d hardly spoken to them in weeks, and now I probably looked pathetic.

I heard footsteps and Eleanor calling out my name.

When I didn’t respond, she stopped coming after me.