Chapter 7- The Wrong Words

A/N-

Just a quick reminder that all characters apart from Ava Potter belong to the legendary J.K. Rowling.

I hope you enjoy this chapter! :)

Chapter 7

Somebody was shouting downstairs. It sounded like… Harry.

I grabbed an Extendable Ear and slowly let it down the stairs.

“…HANDLED MORE THAN YOU TWO’VE EVER MANAGED AND DUMBLEDORE KNOWS IT…”

Out of the corner of my eye, I could see Hermione’s cat, Crookshanks. He eyed the Extendable Ear, seeing it as a toy. I reeled it in as quickly as I could, and slipped it into my pocket.

Ginny was lying on her bed, looking at the list of equipment she needed for this year at Hogwarts. I walked in,

“How much stuff do you need from Diagon Alley?”

She showed me the list,

“Quite a bit. I’m hoping that mum and dad will give me some galleons to buy a few things, but I’m not sure…”

“Don’t worry, I’m sure they will.”

Downstairs there was a loud crack as both the twins Apparated. Ginny rolled her eyes,

“Those guys! Ever since they passed their Apparation tests…”

I laughed,

“It certainly makes Hermione jump, that’s for sure.”

She stood up suddenly,

“Is Harry here?”

I nodded, and followed her down the stairs.

She smiled brightly,

“Oh, hello, Harry! I thought I heard your voice.”

I nudged Fred,

“Is there another Order meeting on?”

Ginny looked up,

“Yes. It’s a no-go with the Extendable Ears, she’s gone and put an Imperturbable Charm on the kitchen door.”

Fred and I groaned,

“All the times we’ve listened in, we’ve hardly got any useful information. I bet they’ll have the most important stuff tonight.”

Harry grinned,

“You guys have been listening in every night?”

Fred nodded,

“It’s been a long process. It’s given us less time to work on the Skiving Snackboxes.”

I nibbled at my nails,

“They’re nearly finished now, aren’t they? You might be able to give them to the first years when we get to Hogwarts.”

He hit my hand,

“Don’t bite your nails! You’re seventeen!”

I laughed,

“Are you my Dad or something?”

The room fell silent. My eyes met with Harry’s. He looked hurt.

I stared at the floor embarrassed. That had been the wrong thing to say.

Fred put his hand on my arm, and pulled me away,

“Come on Ava.”

I turned around to follow him, but stopped when I saw Sirius standing by the kitchen door. He’d heard what I’d said as well.

I gulped,

“Sorry…”

I walked upstairs to my room. Fred started to say something, but I cut him off,

“I’m sorry Fred, but please can I just think for a bit? Alone?”

He took a step back,

“Sure! Of course! It’s fine!”

I shut the door and sat down on my bed. I’d hurt two people with one sentence. Why was I so careless?

*                    *                    *

Mrs. Weasley knocked on the door,

“Ava, dear, dinner’s ready.”

I opened it,

“Thanks.”

The kitchen was buzzing with conversation. It was quite busy.

I noticed a pale man with long black hair parted in the middle, and wearing black robes, looking at me. I felt slightly under pressure. Why was his gaze so intense?

Fred rescued me,

“Hey, newbie, sit down.”

I smiled gratefully,

“Thanks Fred.”

I looked back up to see if the man was still looking at me- but he was gone.

I muttered,

“Hey Fred, who was that guy with the black hair?”

“Oh, you mean Professor Snape? He never stays for dinner.”

Relief flooded through me. He’d freaked me out a little.

I tucked into the bacon and eggs on my plate, while Fred and George started to talk about their Skiving Snackboxes. Mrs. Weasley had a very disapproving look on her face.

Ron reached across the table for a second helping of bacon,

“Who tested the Fainting Fancy?”

George pointed at me,

“Ava was willing.”

I burst out laughing,

“George! Fred practically forced me to do it! He gave me the puppy look!”

Fred gasped in an over the top fashion,

“I did not force you! And what, may I ask, is the puppy look?”

“That face you do with the big eyes and the turned down mouth!”

He pulled the face, going over the top. I hit his arm,

“You’re doing it now, Freddo.”

Ron sighed,

“You two won’t stop talking! Anyway Ava, did the Fainting Fancy work?”

I nodded,

“Yes. Well, Fred had to catch me and George had to feed me the purple end, but I think it went rather well.”

Mrs. Weasley’s face looked even more disapproving, so we all ate the rest of our meal in silence.

As usual, Fred and George were asked to help wash up. I gave Fred a grin before making my way upstairs.

I got changed into my pyjamas, and sat down on my bed. I asked,

“Hermione? Have you got a book I could borrow please? I’d like to read something.”

She nodded excitedly, her face bright. She passed me one from her trunk,

“‘Hogwarts: A History’ is a fantastic book. I know Fred and George have told you a lot, but books have much more information in them.”

I opened it,

“Thanks!”

Somebody cleared their throat at the door,

“Actually, sorry Ava, but I want to talk to you about something.”

I looked up to see Harry smiling awkwardly. I stood up,

“Sure! What’s it about?”

I followed him to the room he shared with Ron. He reached under his bed,

“I’d like to show you a photo. A photo of our parents.”

In His Shadow (A Harry Potter Fan Fiction)On viuen les histories. Descobreix ara