Chapter 51- Another Year

Chapter 51

Even though the Slytherin table was full of Gryffindor-hating students, the Weasleys’ grand exit was still the only thing they were talking about. I felt like I just couldn’t get away from the fact that Fred was gone.

Eleanor noticed my sad expression and tried to change the subject,

“What are you going to do at the end of this year? Are you going to leave with the rest of us? You’ve only had one year of education. I don’t reckon it’s enough if you need to face the real world.”

I shrugged. I hadn’t really thought about it much yet.

“Maybe I’ll be able to manage. I’ve learnt almost twice as much as I should have this year, what with all of the extra lessons. Anyway, do you have an idea about what you’re going to do when you leave?”

Eleanor gulped,

“I honestly don’t have a clue. I probably need more time to think about it.”

Out of the corner of my eye, I could see Draco watching Eleanor with a strange expression on his face. The moment he noticed I was looking at him, he cleared his throat,

“We better keep an eye on the other Gryffindors. They all look like they’re plotting something.”

I glanced over at the table, and tried to ignore the two empty seats near where my brother was sitting.

I turned back to Draco,

“They don’t look like they’re plotting anything. I don’t know why you’ve got that into your head.”

He opened his mouth to say something, but then looked like he thought better of it and looked down at his empty plate.

A couple of students around me lowered their voices, and I turned around. Professor McGonagall was standing behind me with a small smile on her face. She glanced at my plate and cleared her throat,

“It appears you have finished your breakfast, Miss. Potter. Therefore, if you don’t mind of course, would you come to my office with me? We need to discuss something.”

I stood up and gave Eleanor a nervous smile before following McGonagall out of the Great Hall. I could feel some students’ eyes boring into my back. I hoped I wasn’t in trouble, but I couldn’t imagine what I’d have been in trouble for. I was fairly well-behaved at Hogwarts. I’d only done a few things which were against the school rules, but they’d been a while ago.

When we arrived at Professor McGonagall’s office, I waited by the door nervously. She sat down at her desk and looked up,

“Sit down, Miss. Potter. Don’t worry, you’re not in trouble.”

I sighed with relief. She carried on,

“I have actually called you to my office to talk to you about your progress so far this year. It appears you’ve been doing very well, and you’ve done a lot more work than the average student in your year. However, you’ve only been here for one year. You haven’t learnt enough to get a job. You need to finish taking your OWLs and then begin taking your NEWTs. This is why I’m about to offer you another year of education at Hogwarts. It will help you to get all of your qualifications. As long as you promise to work exceptionally hard, you should be able to finish your work if you stay for another year.”

Thoughts whizzed around in my head. I could imagine what Fred would say. Another year in that prison? I don’t think so, newbie.

I winced and pushed Fred out of my mind. I could see the professor was waiting for an answer so I forced a smile and nodded,

“It sounds good, thanks. I was just talking to Eleanor about that. I wasn’t sure what I was going to do, so I’m glad it’s all cleared up now. Thank you.”

Professor McGonagall nodded,

“You’ll re-take some of the classes you’ve done this year. You might also have extra lessons with just the teacher. If you feel like you’re struggling in a class, just let us know. We’re here to help you, Miss. Potter.”

I stood up, still forcing a smile,

“Thank you, Professor. I would stay and discuss it more, but I have to get to my Defence Against the Dark Arts lesson. Professor Umbridge won’t like it if I’m late.”

Professor McGonagall pulled a face like she disapproved of Umbridge. Before she could say anything, I stepped out of her office and closed the door behind me.

The Defence Against the Dark Arts classroom was completely silent when I arrived. I could feel Fred and George’s absence from the room, and it was distracting me a lot. I hardly noticed at first when Professor Umbridge asked why I was late.

“Sorry, pardon?”

She stepped closer to me with a small smile on her face,

“Would you care to tell me where you’ve been, Miss. Potter?”

I shrugged,

“I was talking to Professor McGonagall in her office. You can ask her if you don’t believe me.”

She shook her head,

“I shall ask her the moment I see her.”

I nodded and sat down at my desk. Eleanor gave me a quizzical look, but I ignored her. I didn’t want to get into trouble again.

I couldn’t focus at all throughout the entire lesson. I wanted to hear Fred and George making funny comments and laughing at Umbridge. I wanted to be able to turn around and smile secretly at Fred. In my mind, I conjured up an image of him smiling at me. It was quickly ruined by the image of him from my dream. I winced and looked back at my textbook.

Potions wasn’t any better. I couldn’t laugh quietly at the notes that Fred used to pass me. I couldn’t ask for his help when I was making the potion.

I felt completely alone.

As soon as the Snape dismissed us, I ran straight to the AstronomyTower and sat down near the railing. The moment I was alone, I began to sob.

It seemed like I was crying almost every other day now. I was a complete mess, and I didn’t have anyone to turn to. I felt like I couldn’t even turn to my own brother. He was suffering from problems worse than my own. He was distracted and I didn’t want to make him worry about me too.

It seemed like I was going to have to get through this on my own.