Chapter 45- Spending Time with Slytherins

Chapter 45

“I’m sorry that you got into trouble yesterday. It was unfair. I was involved as well.”

Fred looked up at me and shook his head,

“Ava, it’s fine. I’d rather you didn’t get into trouble again with Umbridge. If she made you write more lines…”

He winced. I sighed,

“It’s not fine though, is it? You would have gotten away if you hadn’t run with me. It’s my fault you got caught. I’m sorry.”

We walked into the Great Hall, and Fred smiled,

“Don’t worry about it, honestly I-”

He was interrupted as Draco walked up next to me and raised his eyebrows,

“Going over to sit with the Gryffindors for dinner, are you?”

I shook my head and turned to Fred,

“I’ll talk to you later, alright?”

He nodded, and we walked to our separate tables. I sat down next to Eleanor. She looked up,

“Draco’s been telling us about how he saved you from getting into trouble yesterday.”

I looked across the table at Draco and groaned,

“I should have got into trouble, but thanks to Draco, Harry and Fred got the blame instead.”

Zach sighed,

“Well, whatever that group was, it was wrong. You shouldn’t have been part of it.”

Eleanor turned to look at him,

“It depends what-”

Draco didn’t want to hear what Eleanor had to say, so he just muttered,

“It’s over, isn’t it? The group that Ava was part of is over. We should just stop talking about it. The conversation is finished.”

I was surprised by his outburst, but I didn’t want to anger him. I just piled some food onto my plate and began to eat.

Zach and Eleanor talked to eachother, but Draco and I didn’t say a word.

When people started to get up to go to their common rooms, I quickly followed.

Draco grabbed my arm, and I flinched. He dropped it and sighed,

“I don’t think we should discuss the group again. We need to keep it a secret.”

I shook my head,

“I don’t understand why-”

He interrupted me,

“You will. Trust me.”

We got to the entrance of the Slytherin common room and I muttered the password,

“Parseltongue.”

I stepped inside and sat down near the fire. Draco sat next to me and whispered,

“Don’t listen to what Eleanor says. She sometimes comes out with some right rubbish.”

I surprised myself by laughing. Draco’s tone had sounded so serious. Eleanor seemed to be the sanest of the Slytherins.

As if on cue, Zach and Eleanor sat down opposite. Zach smirked,

“What’s funny?”

Draco opened his mouth to say something but I quickly came up with something,

“Draco made a joke about… mudbloods. It was hilarious.”

I stared down at my hands. I hadn’t wanted to use that word, but what I said needed to sound convincing.

Eleanor looked shocked at my use of the word too, but she didn’t say anything.

I quickly changed the subject,

“Anyway, what’s your opinion on Professor Umbridge becoming the new headmistress?”

Draco sneered,

“I think it’s a great change to the school. Finally, something has gone right. Dumbledore didn’t have a clue what he was doing.”

I frowned,

“Dumbledore was a great headmaster.”

Zach shook his head,

“You haven’t even been at Hogwarts for a year, Ava. You don’t have a clue what he’s been like for the other six years.”

I doubted Zach was right. I knew Dumbledore was a wise man. He would have been a good headmaster throughout all the years he’d have worked here.

I shrugged,

“Well seeing as Professor Umbridge likes to torture her students, I prefer Dumbledore.”

Draco rolled his eyes,

“She doesn’t torture her students.”

I raised my left hand and showed it to them,

“I’m surprised you haven’t noticed this yet. She made me write lines with a Blood Quill. And, unsurprisingly, it hurt.”

Draco raised his eyebrows,

“Serves you right for answering back at her.”

I sighed,

“I don’t normally answer back at teachers, but…”

“Maybe you should stop answering back and start doing what the teachers say.”

I looked down at my hands and stayed silent. I didn’t want to argue with Draco. He always had to win.

I stood up,

“I’m just going to go and get some parchment. I have to write-”

Eleanor finished my sentence,

“Another Potions essay? Professor Snape won’t stop giving you those, will he?”

I shook my head, smiling, and walked towards my dormitory.

A few pieces of parchment were sitting beneath my pillow. I reached my hand under and pulled them out.

A piece fluttered to the floor.

I picked it up and frowned. It was an old letter. I began to read it and realised who it was from. It was the letter Sirius had sent to me that I’d never replied to.

I needed to reply. He was worried about me and I’d been ignoring him.

I tucked it back underneath my pillow, grabbed my quill and walked back into the common room.

I heard Zach mutter,

“Can you do it tonight?”

Draco shook his head,

“No. She needs to be vulnerable.”

Eleanor saw me walking towards them and cleared her throat loudly,

“Ava! Shall I help you with that Potions essay?”

I was confused by her sudden urge to help me, but I smiled,

“Yes please. I didn’t quite understand today’s lesson.”

I sat down next to her and put the parchment and quill on the table.

I sat in the common room with Zach, Eleanor and Draco for three hours after that, working on my Potions essay and talking to them.

It seemed like they were being much more pleasant than usual. Or maybe I wasn’t snapping their heads off as much. I couldn’t be sure.

Either way, I actually enjoyed spending time with them.