Chapter 53- Saving Padfoot

A/N-

I'm so sorry! It's nearly been a month since I've updated and I feel awful about it! I've been busy with school work and meeting up with friends.

I've been working on this chapter for about three weeks because every evening after I finally finish my homework and get my laptop out, my mum tells me it's time for dinner. So I'm really sorry again! I thought I'd make extra effort to update today because it's my friend's birthday and she reads it. So this is an extra gift for her!

Anyway, I hope you enjoy it! :)

Chapter 53

I made my way to the library silently. I’d been avoiding everyone since I’d shouted at Draco in the Great Hall, and it seemed like to library was the best place to go. Hardly any of the Slytherins that I knew went into the library. I hoped it was going to be a peaceful afternoon.

“Well, well, well. If it isn’t Harry Potter’s sister.”

I turned around to look at Draco, my eyes wide,

“You’ve been calling me Ava for the past year, Draco. You don’t need to start suddenly calling me that, do you?”

He smirked,

“There’s only one reason I’m saying it, Ava. You see, I’ve just been sent from Umbridge’s office to collect Professor Snape. It appears that your idiot brother has got himself into a bit of trouble. What was he thinking? Creeping into the headmistress’ office without her noticing? I do think he’s had too much butterbeer.”

I frowned,

“Why did he go into her office? Is he mad? She hates him.”

Draco laughed,

“According to him, he was looking for his Firebolt. Anyway, I’ve got to go and get Professor Snape. Maybe I’ll see you later, Ava.”

I stared at him, speechless, as he walked away. Why on earth would Harry go and get his Firebolt now? It was a ridiculous idea.

Already, I could hear Draco coming back with Professor Snape. I ducked behind a statue and held my breath. Just like I’d hoped they would, they didn’t notice I was there. The moment they were round the corner, I crept after them, my heart pounding. I stayed about fifteen feet away from them, and walked with footsteps that I hoped didn’t make much noise.

When they finally got to Umbridge’s office, I stayed outside the door and hid behind another statue. All I could hear was mumbling. I was just going to have to wait to see what was going on. Either that or I left there and then and had nothing to do with it.

After a while, the door opened, and I crept further behind the statue. As Snape was about to leave, I heard Harry shout something.

“He’s got Padfoot! He’s got Padfoot at the place where it’s hidden!”

My heart stopped at the sound of Sirius’ name. Was he in trouble? Did Lord Voldemort have Sirius kept somewhere? I fought the urge to run into the office and ask what Harry meant.

Professor Snape said something before shutting the door firmly behind him. I held my breath as he turned around and looked right at me.

“Miss. Potter, what are you doing here?”

I started to mumble something, but he interrupted me,

“You must stay in the castle, do you understand? Whatever happens tonight, you must not leave Hogwarts.”

I gulped,

“Why? What if someone is in trouble?”

“The situation will be dealt with. Just stay here.”

He stared at me for a few more seconds before turning around and walking down the corridor, his robes billowing around him.

I took a deep breath and tried to think about what was going on. I wasn’t sure if I could trust Professor Snape or not. Harry and the others seemed to despise him, whereas Draco seemed to worship him.

I gasped quietly as the door opened again and Hermione and Harry walked out, followed by Professor Umbridge. Hermione looked as if she’s been crying, and Harry looked very confused. I ducked further behind the statue and held my breath until they were gone.

I wondered for a moment whether I should go back to the library and sit there for the rest of the day, but I knew that would be the cowardly thing to do. I needed to make sure that everyone was okay.

My thoughts were interrupted when I heard a loud banging noise. The sound of Draco shouting made me stand up a little bit taller. What was going on in there?

I reached my hand towards my wand and held my breath. After a moment, the office door burst open and Luna, Ron, Neville and Ginny ran out of the office. I came out from behind the statue and looked at them all in shock,

“What’s going on? Are you guys alright?”

Ron looked uncomfortable, and I noticed even Ginny wasn’t looking at me. Luna looked at me and smiled dreamily,

“I think I saw Harry and Hermione go towards the Forest. Come quickly. We might catch up with them.”

Neville nodded in agreement, and they all began to run down the corridor. I looked after them for a moment, wondering if I should go with them. As I started to run, a hand grabbed my sleeve. I spun around and looked at Draco. His face was covered in large bogeys which were moving around. He tried to wipe some off with his sleeve as he muttered,

“Don’t go with them. You’ll only cause more trouble if you do.”

I stared at him,

“Someone’s in trouble! We need to help him-”

“No, you don’t. Ava, you need to stay here where you won’t be harmed.”

I shook my head in disbelief,

“Professor Snape said exactly the same thing! Are you two plotting against me or something?”

“He told you to stay in the castle?”

I nodded,

“But just because he said it doesn’t mean I’m going to listen. I need to do what’s right.”

Draco sighed,

“Which is staying in the castle.”

I took a deep breath,

“You don’t even care about me Draco.”

I turned around and started to run as quickly as I could. I wanted to catch up with the others so I could help them solve everything. I needed to help save Sirius.

My footsteps echoed through the empty corridors. I hoped no one would see me running and ask where I was going.

I reached the stairs and sprinted down them, two steps at a time. This was an emergency.

When I got to the bottom of the stairs, I stopped for a moment to catch my breath. Luna had said they were going to the Forest. That’s where I was going to go.

I suddenly became aware of the sound of footsteps at the top of the stairs. I turned around and gasped. Draco was running after me.

I ran even faster, ignoring Draco’s shouts and pleads.

The cold air from outside hit me as I ran through the main doors of the castle. The clouds were grey and I could feel the wind picking up. I made for the Forest, my heart pounding. It wasn’t too far; I just needed to get away from Draco.

I slipped on a bit of mud and fell towards the floor. I landed on my back with a thump that knocked the breath out of me. Black spots dotted my vision. I reached my hand out to push myself up when I heard Draco shout out a spell,

STUPEFY!”

The spell exploded from the end of his wand. Before I could do anything, it hit me square in the chest and everything went black.