Chapter 8- The Dream

Chapter 8

I looked up at Harry, my heart pounding. A photograph of my parents. Our parents. I gulped,

“Oh Harry…”

He placed a framed photo into my hands. I held my breath, and looked at it.

Standing in the middle of this picture was a couple. A man with short black hair and glasses. He reminded me of my brother.

The woman’s red hair and green eyes reminded me of myself.

The couple were laughing with eachother. They were actually moving. Magic.

I stroked the glass, and a tear rolled down my cheek. Harry put his hand on my arm,

“Ava, don’t cry.”

I laughed, wiping the tears away,

“Sorry Harry. They look perfect.”

I gave the frame back to him, and he looked at it,

“We look just like them, you know. I think in some ways… that makes Sirius happy. We’re their children. He likes us being around.”

I pulled my brother into a hug,

“I like you being around. I never stop thinking about my little brother. I just wish I could have been there to protect you. Throughout your life.”

“Don’t worry about it Ava. You’re here now.”

I pulled away, and took one last glance at the picture. I could finally feel like I remembered what they looked like.

I walked towards the door,

“Goodnight Harry. Thank you.”

“It’s okay, Ava. Sleep well.”

I walked towards my bedroom, fearing the nightmare that usually came when I fell asleep.

That night was quite different.

*                    *                    *

“James, please could you help me over here?”

My father walked towards my mother, taking Harry from her hands. I tugged at his hand,

“Daddy…”
He looked down at me,

“What do you need, Ava?”

I pointed at the Chocolate Frogs sitting on top of the picnic basket. My mother picked me up,

“Ava, you can’t have those until you’ve eaten the rest of your lunch! Come on now.”

I wrapped my arms around her neck,

“Love you, Mummy.”

She put me back down on the picnic rug, next to my baby brother. I touched his face,

“Hello Harry.”
He laughed loudly. I smiled at him, happy he liked me.

I recognised my godfather in the distance, walking towards us. In his hands he was holding a camera. He grinned,

“James, Lily, smile for the camera!”

They stood up, and posed for the photo. They were laughing.

They sat back down next to Harry and I. My mother reached her hand out and placed it on my arm. Sirius pointed the camera at us.

It flashed, almost brighter than the mid-day sun.

*                    *                    *

I woke up, my heart fluttering in my chest. For the past six months, I’d been having the same nightmare over and over again.

Now I’d finally dreamt of something else. Was it a memory?

I touched my arm, just where my mum had touched it in the dream.

“Mum says if you don’t get up in five min-”

I jumped and looked up at Fred. He gulped,

“What’s wrong?”

I shook my head,

“Nothing! I’m absolutely fine! Tell her I’ll be down in a minute.”

He nodded, his face still worried.

There was a loud crack, and he was gone.

I pulled on some clothes, quickly plaited my hair and ran down into the kitchen.

Mrs. Weasley was shovelling bacon onto everyone’s plates. I sat down in the empty seat next to Fred, and started to eat.

My mind was still on the dream. What had jogged a new memory like that? Was it the photo Harry had shown me?

Sirius cleared his throat,

“You look a bit pale, Ava.”

I stared at him. He’d been in my dream. I laughed shakily,

“I’m fine! Don’t worry.”

He dropped the subject, but Fred gave me a knowing look. I just smiled at him.

As soon as breakfast was finished, I walked back towards my room.

There was a loud crack, and Fred appeared in front of me. He shook his head,

“I know something’s up, Ava. You looked like you were deep in thought the whole time you were eating breakfast. I’m slightly worried.”

I stepped into my bedroom,

“Just because I’m quiet doesn’t mean I’m upset about something.”

He grabbed onto my hand,

“Ava! Tell me what the matter is!”

I sighed,

“I had another dream last night.”
His face changed,

“What?”

I stared at the floor,

“It was different. I was having a picnic with my parents and baby Harry. I was only two, the same age I am in the nightmare.”

“Why is it making you upset?”

“I just want to know what suddenly triggered this memory. We were all so happy, as well. My life could have been so different if my parents weren’t killed that night.”

Fred pulled me into a tight hug,

“Ava Potter. You don’t need to be upset about a dream like that. Who knows? Maybe more memories will come back!”

I smiled,

“I was only two at the time, Fred. How much do you remember from when you were two?”

“Err…”

I laughed,

“Exactly. Now come on Freddo, how many more of your pranks do you need to test out? I am willing to be a tester again.”

“Oh, you’re willing now, are you?”

I pulled away, giggling,

“Indeed I am. I want you and George to succeed at this.”

We walked towards his bedroom, ready for me to try a Puking Pastille. George grinned at us excitedly.

I only realised after a while that Fred and I were still holding hands.