Chapter 15- Bending the Rules

Chapter 15

“When was the last time you went in the library, Fred?”

I watched him eye the doors cautiously, before he grinned,

“I can’t even remember. Possibly the first year? I might have been researching something or other…”

I grabbed onto his hand, laughing,

“Let’s go in then. Most people probably wouldn’t see you as a library person.”

We found some chairs near the back of the library behind a bookshelf. I smiled,

“If Zach and Eleanor saw me here… the expressions on their faces would be hilarious, I think.”

Fred sighed,

“So… those two have been told by Malfoy to keep an eye on you?”

I nodded,

“It’s annoying! Do they just think I’m going to bow down to them and do whatever they say? Just because I’m in Slytherin now doesn’t mean I’m going to change as a person. I have my brother, my friends and you to care about.”

He cracked a smile,

“You really care about me?”

I blushed,

“Of course! What made you think I didn’t?”

Our hands intertwined over the desk between us. He whispered,

“I care about you too. I want to make sure you’re happy. If Zach and Eleanor do anything to upset you…”

Our faces got closer. I grinned,

“They’ll have to go through you first.”

Our lips met, and my whole body tingled. I smiled,

“If George came in now…”

“Don’t worry, newbie. George hasn’t been in the library since first year, either.”

“Maybe he’s turning over a new leaf. Maybe he wants to become a nerd.”

“Shut up.”

He pushed his lips against mine again. This kiss was fiercer than the first. I could feel a raging fire in my heart. My whole body was burning.

“I hope you two realise everyone knows who Ava is. If somebody else sees you kissing, Slytherin wouldn’t be happy.”

We broke apart, and I looked up at Hermione,

“We didn’t think many people came here.”

I’d completely forgotten that Hermione was a very keen reader. She probably spent a lot of time in the library.

I stood up,

“Please don’t tell! Zach and Eleanor would go straight to Draco.”

She smiled,

“What do you take me for? Harry wouldn’t be too happy with me.”

Fred grinned,

“Thanks, Hermione. I don’t want Ava getting hurt.”

I studied his face carefully. He looked like he really wanted to protect me. I just had to make sure he didn’t get hurt either.

I cared about him too much to let things go that far.

*                    *                    *

“Pure Blood.”

I muttered the common room password quietly, and the painting in front of me swung open.

I walked in, and all eyes were on me. Draco stood up,

“Where have you been?”

I lied,

“I was just in the library. I was going to read some books, but Hermione had the ones I wanted.”

He frowned,

“You didn’t talk to that mudblood, did you?”

I shook my head silently.

He sat back down,

“Good. It seems you’re learning already.”

I noticed out of the corner of my eye that Eleanor was glaring at me. I ignored her gaze and made my way over to the dormitory.

I sat down on my bed.

“You were with Fred, weren’t you?”

Eleanor sneered from the door. I didn’t respond. She sighed,

“If you were, I’ll tell Draco.”

I ran my hand through my hair,

“I said I was in the library, didn’t I? Ask Hermione if you have to. Oh no, wait. You can’t, because you hate her. I don’t understand why-”

“Listen here, Potter. You’re in Slytherin now. We have our reasons why we don’t talk to filthy mudbloods. You must follow the rules. Do you understand?”

I shook my head,

“You can’t boss me around, Eleanor! I can pick my friends! I’m certainly not picking you, or Zach, or anyone in Slytherin! So can you just get off my case?”

She took a step back,

“Be careful, Potter. You’re making mistakes.”

I gave her one final glare before she left.

I reached under my pillow and pulled out a piece of parchment and a quill. I took a deep breath, and began to write.

Dear Snuffles,

Things aren’t going very well down here. I’m not sure how you and everyone else are. I hope you’re all okay.

I’ve been sorted into Slytherin, and I really hate it. Draco Malfoy has made these two students spy on me so they know I’m not hanging around with my friends.

It’s unfair! I can’t even talk to Harry! I want to tell everyone that I have rights, but they don’t even listen to me.

I sit next to Fred in potions, so that’s one good thing. We went to the library earlier, but Hermione saw us and reminded me that anyone could be watching.

There’s a new teacher here called Professor Umbridge. She teaches Defence Against the Dark Arts, but the lessons are all theory.

At dinner, I saw Harry and tried to wave to him. He waved back, but he didn’t look too good. Please could you maybe write to him and ask him if he’s okay? I wish I could talk to him myself.

I’m pretty sure I’m going to fail in Potions. It’s so hard. Fred had to help me a lot to make sure I didn’t make the cauldron explode.

Please reply soon. I think a letter would make me a bit happier.

Ava

I read over the letter. Harry had told me at the end of the summer not to use Sirius’ real name in letters.

I rolled up the parchment and placed it back underneath my pillow. I couldn’t leave it lying around in here. Eleanor would use it against me.

I got another piece of parchment and started to write my Potions essay. I hardly knew anything about it, but Snape seemed out to get me.

I suddenly wished I had asked Hermione for some help when I’d been in the library. Even if I wasn’t allowed to talk to her, it didn’t mean I had to follow the rules.