Chapter 42- Lies

A/N-

Hello! So I'm sorry I haven't updated in a while. I went back to school and I already have plenty of work to do. I'm in Year 10 now so I need to focus more on schoolwork. However, I thought I would treat you all to an update! :) I hope you enjoy it!

Chapter 42

We walked up the path to Hogwarts in silence. Zach and Eleanor were just behind us. I assumed that when they had walked past Fred and I in the Three Broomsticks, they had told Draco where we were.

We got into the castle, and I sighed irritably,

“What is it that was so important that you had to take me away from spending a day with Fred?”

Draco smirked,

“We couldn’t have you being seen by people with a blood traitor, could we?”

I clenched my fists,

“Is that it? You made me leave Fred because you didn’t want people to see me? Do you have no heart?”

He just laughed.

Hot tears threatened to spill over onto my cheeks. I shook my head,

“I’m sick and tired of your games, Draco Malfoy! Do you feel like you have to take me away from everyone close to me?”

I noticed someone walking down the corridor towards us, but I started to shout. I couldn’t stop myself.

“I was more than happy before I met you! Before I was put into Slytherin! All you seem to do is criticise my friends, my brother! You are an ignorant pig, Draco Malfoy! I hate you!”

Draco stepped closer to me,

“I don’t think you realise that out there, there is a real world. A world where things are changing! You need to stop spending all your time with Fred, and snap back to reality, Ava. There are things happening out there, and we can’t just watch.”

I just looked at him. He shook his head,

“When you first found out you were a witch, you were thrown straight into the life Harry has lived. You became friends with the Weasels, and you immediately trusted all of them. What if they’ve been lying to you all along? You have made mistakes, Ava. You need to start making the right choices. You are going the wrong way and if you let us help you out now, you might be able to save yourself.”

I stared into his grey eyes. I felt like I’d been winded. I pushed past him,

“I need some time alone, Draco.”

I noticed the person who had been walking towards us had stopped nearby. They’d probably been listening to the whole conversation.

As I walked past them I looked up, and I gulped. It was Professor Dumbledore.

I wasn’t scared of him. I didn’t need to be. I was scared of what Draco had just told me. I was scared of what Professor Dumbledore thought of it.

Most of all, I was scared in case, somehow, Draco was right.

*                    *                    *

“Harry told me Voldemort was back! If my brother tells me, then of course I’m going to believe him!”

It had been two days since Draco had told me I was making mistakes, and I felt like a wreck. I hadn’t been sleeping because his words circled my head all night.

I hadn’t had time to talk to any of my friends because Draco was stopping me from leaving the common room even more than usual.

Now, I was in a heated debate with Professor Umbridge. She smiled sweetly at me,

“Miss. Potter, you have been fed lies by your brother, and you have been broadcasting them across the classroom. You should therefore come to my office tomorrow evening for a detention.”

I sighed, thinking of Harry’s hand after his detention.

We were dismissed from the lesson, and I was first to leave the classroom. I walked down the corridor as quickly as I could, trying to get away from Zach and Eleanor.

I could hear someone calling my name, but I just kept walking until I got to Potions.

Snape looked surprised to see me arrive so early to the lesson. I sat down at my desk and stared at my Potions book. I didn’t want to look at any Slytherins when they walked in.

Fred sat down next to me, but I didn’t look up. He whispered,

“Are you alright? I’ve hardly seen you since we went to the Three Broomsticks.”

I finally glanced up at him. Seeing his worried face made my eyes fill with tears. I quickly looked away again,

“Yeah, sorry. Draco hasn’t let me leave the common room.”

Fred sighed,

“I’ll give that git what he deserves.”

I managed a small smile. He took a deep breath,

“So why did Draco take you away from the Three Broomsticks?”

The memory of what Draco had told me whizzed around my head again. I closed my eyes,

“Some Slytherin thing he wanted to show me. I managed to get away though.”

Fred didn’t seem to believe the lie, but he nodded,

“As long as you’re okay…”

I swallowed the lump in my throat and nodded. I could feel a tear squeezing its way out of my closed eyes. Even though I couldn’t see him, I could tell Fred was looking at me. I could tell he was worried about me. But right now, I felt lost. Surely, after what Draco told me, I should have been able to confide in Fred?

I took a deep breath, wiped the tears away and opened my eyes. Professor Snape looked right at me before he began to drone on about some sort of potion.

When we were told to make the potion he’d been droning on about, I worked in silence. Fred said something to me every now and then, and I managed a small smile. I didn’t want to make him any more worried than he was.

As soon as the lesson was over, I walked straight out of the door, not bothering to look back at Fred.

I knew he was worried about me, and what scared me was the fact that I wasn’t letting him comfort me. I was pushing him away when I needed him most.

*                    *                    *

When I got into the Slytherin common room, Draco studied me carefully. Eleanor stood up and looked at me worriedly. I just walked straight past them and into the dormitory.

Sitting on my bed was an envelope addressed to me. I sat down and opened it carefully. It was a letter from Sirius.

Dear Ava,

You haven’t written in a while, and Remus and myself have begun to worry about you. Is everything okay? We both hope the Slytherins haven’t said something to upset you. Or maybe you’re just too busy having fun that you haven’t had time to write? If you can, please reply soon.

Padfoot

I took a deep breath and put the letter under my pillow. I wasn’t in the mood to reply right now.

I kept telling myself I needed time to think, but I’d had time to think. I still didn’t know what to do.

Draco had been right about something. As soon as I'd found out I was a witch, I’d immediately started to live with the Weasleys, so I immediately trusted them, along with Hermione, my brother, Sirius and Professor Dumbledore.

Even though I desperately didn't want to believe it, something kept circling around me head: What if everything I’d been told was lies?