Chapter 21- The Hog's Head

Chapter 21

We all bought a Butterbeer and sat down. I took a sip of my drink and sighed. It tasted nice. I certainly liked the flavour.

Eventually everyone stopped talking, and Hermione gulped,

“Er… Well- er- hi.”

She looked really nervous. I felt kind of sorry for her. She carried on,

“Well… erm… well, you know why you’re here. Erm… well, Harry here had the idea- I mean I had the idea- that it might be good if people who wanted to study Defence Against the Dark Arts- and I mean, really study it, you know, not the rubbish that Umbridge is doing with us- because nobody would call that Defence Against the Dark Arts. Well, I thought it would be good if we, well, took matters into our own hands. And by that I mean learning how to defend ourselves properly, not just in theory but doing the real spells-”

Somebody interrupted her to ask if she wanted to pass her Defence Against the Dark Arts OWL. Hermione nodded,

“Of course I do. But more than that, I want to be properly trained in defence because… because... because Lord Voldemort is back.”

Everyone gasped at his name. I took another sip of my butterbeer, feeling quite relaxed as people began to shoot questions at Harry, Ron and Hermione.

I listened in awe as I began to learn of the things Harry had done before I knew him. He had participated in the Triwizard Tournament, he had killed a basilisk, and he had saved something called the Philosopher’s Stone from Lord Voldemort. Harry really was a good wizard.

Hermione cleared her throat,

“Yes, well, moving on… the point is, are we agreed we want to take lessons from Harry?”

I nodded in agreement with everyone else. This sounded like it would be good.

Everyone started to discuss when and where it would be. When it was eventually decided, Hermione passed round a piece of parchment and a quill for everyone to write their names on. Fred wrote his neatly at the top and passed it to me. I began to write my name, when somebody called out,

“We can’t have a Slytherin in the group!”

I looked up nervously, my heart pounding in my chest. Someone else agreed,

“What if she’s spying on us or something? She might tell Malfoy!”

I shook my head,

“I would never tell anyone about this! Anyway-”

“How can we trust you?”

Fred stood up,

“Ava Potter can definitely be trusted! She may be in Slytherin, but she certainly doesn’t act like Malfoy or Zach or Eleanor! She’s Harry’s sister! If Harry can trust her, surely the rest of you should!”

Silence followed. Harry nodded,

“If you don’t trust my sister, then I don’t suggest writing your name on that piece of parchment.”

My cheeks flushed red, and I smiled,

“Thanks Fred, Harry.”

 After everything was sorted, people began to leave in groups of two or three. I walked over to Harry and hugged him,

“This is going to be brilliant.”

He grinned,

“I hope so.”

Fred and I waved goodbye and walked out of the pub. The air felt a lot colder now.

I grinned,

“So this sounds like it’s going to be fun.”

Fred nodded,

“Certainly. Just make sure to keep your mouth shut about it around Zach and Eleanor.”

“Fred,” I sighed, “I hardly talk to them anyway. Unless it’s completely necessary.”

“What’s classified as necessary?”

I laughed,

“Telling them to shut up.”

Fred smiled,

“I have to agree, newbie. That certainly is necessary.”

*                    *                    *

“I heard you were with the weasels today.”

I looked up from my Potions essay at Eleanor and muttered,

“Shut up.”

She shook her head and stood up,

“It’s really hard to have a proper conversation with you, Potter. We just don’t share the same interests.”

I rolled my eyes,

“I’m sure it doesn’t affect your life too much.”

She shook her long blonde hair,

“I’m off to bed now. Don’t try and sneak out to talk to the weasels now!”

I gave her a dirty look as she walked away before returning to my essay. The common room was empty.

“I thought she’d never leave.”

I glanced down at the fire and whispered,

“Padfoot! You know this is risky, right?”

Sirius nodded,

“Of course I know! I just wanted to ask how your trip to Hogsmeade went!”

I shuffled closer to the fire,

“It was great, thanks! I bought some sweets and a couple of things from Zonko’s. I tried Butterbeer as well. It’s the best drink I’ve had in ages!”

“Yes. The Hog’s Head is certainly a good place to get a Butterbeer.”

“Ssh! How do you know?”

Sirius raised an eyebrow,

“I have my ways. I also spoke to Harry earlier this evening.”

I grinned,

“It’s a good idea, isn’t it?”

“An illegal defence group? Oh yes. It’s fabulous.”

I smiled,

“You like the idea really, Snuffles.”

He muttered,

“I’ll have to go now. I nearly got caught in the Gryffindor common room fire earlier. I just wanted to make sure you’re okay.”

I waved,

“Bye! Don’t forget to write!”

His face faded away, and I picked up my Potions essay. As I walked towards the dormitories, Eleanor walked out,

“Who were you talking to? I heard voices.”

I gulped,

“I was revising for Potions, so I was saying the ingredients out loud. It’s certainly a good method to help me learn…”

She shrugged,

“Whatever, Potter. You can be a right weirdo sometimes.”

I breathed a sigh of relief. If she’d known I was talking to anyone in the fire- let alone Sirius Black- she would have reported me straight to Umbridge.

Maybe writing to Sirius was a safer option.