Chapter 25- Umbridge's Office

Chapter 25

I took a deep breath before walking into the Slytherin common room.

Draco and Eleanor were sitting by the fire. I noticed that his nose was slightly swollen.

Malfoy sneered,

“Where have you been, Potter?”

I turned to walk away, but he cleared his throat,

“Don’t walk away from me, Potter.”

I spun around and glared at him,

“I’ll do what I want, thank you very much. I’m not your slave. I’m my own person and you don’t have the right to treat me like rubbish.”

He muttered in a baby voice,

“Aw, did I upset you when I said that thing about your parents?”

I ignored him. He carried on,

“It was true. Everything I say is true.”

I tried to fight the tears that were filling my eyes,

“Don’t you ever say a bad thing about my parents again. Do you understand? Don’t say anything else about the Weasleys either. I don’t understand how you can be so rude! Don’t you ever think about people’s feelings? Have you not realised by now that I hate you? You make people spy on me, you criticise my brother in front of me. Gosh Malfoy, you really don’t have a heart, do you?”

He stared at me, lost for words.

I stormed out of the room and into the dormitory. I sat down on my bed and sighed, finally letting the tears spill over. I seemed to get upset far too much nowadays. I was never happy for very long.

Somebody cleared their throat in the doorway, and I looked up to see Eleanor. I shook my head,

“I don’t want to talk to Malfoy, so don’t make me.”

She gulped nervously,

“Er… actually… I wanted to ask… if you’re… alright.”

I looked up at her, surprised by how soft and gentle her voice sounded. I bit my lip,

“If this is another trick like Zach’s one earlier, I’m not going to fall for it.”

She twisted a lock of blonde hair around her finger,

“No… it’s not. I… I’m-”

Her words were cut off by Zach calling down the corridor,

“Eleanor! I’ve got a good hex to show you! It would be hilarious to practise on the Weasleys!”

She called back, her voice hard and sly again,

“Perfect!”

I glanced down at my hands for a second. When I looked up, Eleanor was gone.

*                    *                    *

“Miss. Potter! What do I get if I add the ingredients on the desk in front of me?”

I glanced up at Professor. Snape,

“I think it’s felix felicis, isn’t it? Also know as ‘liquid luck’.”

He raised an eyebrow approvingly,

“It seems, Miss. Potter, that your extra tuition with me had paid off.”

I smiled and looked down at my desk. Fred chuckled,

“Oh… so you’re a teachers pet now? I didn’t realise he could actually like students.”

I tried not to burst out laughing, and hit him on the arm,

“Fred! I’ve just been catching up, that’s all.”

He shook his head,

“Please don’t start to act like Hermione.”

I giggled,

“I’m not into Potions that much!”

The bell rang, and we were all dismissed. As we left the classroom, I grinned,

“Shall we go to the library? Or maybe the-”

Hem, hem.”

I looked up to see Professor. Umbridge smiling sweetly at me. She raised her eyebrows,

“Miss. Potter, I have a few questions for you. I suggest you come with me to my office.”

I looked over at Fred and waved nervously. What did she have to talk to me about?

She led me to her office and made me sit down at her desk. She cleared her throat,

“How much time do you spend with Harry Potter?”

I shrugged,

“Well, seeing as he’s my brother, as much as I can.”

“What do you do and where do you go whilst with him?”

I frowned,

“We sometimes see eachother in the library or in the Astronomy Tower. We just talk to each other.”

I didn’t mention the DA.

Professor. Umbridge nodded,

“Are you sure you don’t do anything else? Anything that you should tell me about?”

I shook my head.

“You don’t have to keep secrets from me, Miss. Potter.”

I lied,

“I’m telling you the truth, Professor.”

She sighed,

“Would you like a cup of tea? I’m sure you’re rather thirsty.”

“No thanks. In fact, I should probably be getting back-”

Umbridge ignored me, and placed a mug of tea in front of me. I studied it carefully. It looked strange. It had a pink tinge to it.

She smiled,

“Drink it.”

She watched me very closely as I reluctantly picked the mug up and raised it to my lips. I was just about to have a sip when Professor. McGonagall walked in,

“May I have a word with you, Dolores?”

Professor. Umbridge looked frustrated. I stood up,

“Well, I best be going.”

I hurried out of the office and down the corridor. I noticed Fred standing at the end with a grin on his face. I smiled,

“Thanks for waiting, Freddo.”

He laughed,

“So, what did she make you do? Did she give you a Christmas present? Please say she hasn’t won you over with a Chocolate Frog.”

I shook my head,

“No. She just asked me a few questions about Harry, and then tried to make me drink some tea. I nearly did, but McGonagall interrupted the session.”

Fred grabbed onto my hand,

“Come on then, newbie. Let’s cheer you up with some festive spirit.”

I grinned and ran after him down the corridor, glad he was there to make me laugh.