Chapter 37- Hushed Conversations

Chapter 37

“So, what did you get? You look happy.”

I squeezed Fred’s hand excitedly,

“Exceeds Expectations!”

I had just left Charms, and I was quite pleased with my grade, considering I was new to all of the spells.

Fred hugged me,

“Well done! That’s fantastic!”

We danced around the corridor excitedly, hand in hand.

Fred chuckled into my hair,

“Maybe we should stop dancing. Professor Snape just glared at me.”

I giggled,

“I’m afraid there is no better place for dancing than the corridor. We must continue until we part ways.”

Fred’s face fell, and he sighed,

“I wish you were in Gryffindor. We’d be able to spend so much more time together.”

I gulped, hoping that I wouldn’t cry,

“I wish I was in Gryffindor too. Maybe, somehow, things would be different.”

Fred cupped my face in his hands,

“You know, there was meant to be a Valentine ball this year, but I believe Professor Umbridge has banned it.”

I sighed,

“She bans everything.”

He smiled sadly,

“I want you to know that if it had been on, I would have asked you.”

My stomach fluttered,

“I would have accepted your invitation.”

He grinned,

“I would have danced with you for the whole evening.”

“I wouldn’t have spent my time with anyone else.”

He stroked my hair,

“At the very end of the night, I would have kissed you.”

Then, before I could say anything else, he did exactly that. He kissed me. It was so soft, so slow, and so perfect. I couldn’t have wished for a better kiss.

I pulled away, sighing,

“I’ll say goodbye before Umbridge sees us.”

He smiled,

“Goodnight, Ava Potter.”

I waved,

“Goodnight, Fred Weasley.”

I drifted down the corridor happily, thinking of Fred. When I got to the common room, I ignored Draco’s watchful eye, and went straight to the dormitory.

I began to open the door, then stopped. I could hear crying from inside. I wondered who it was, and whether or not I was meant to go in.

I decided to pretend I hadn’t heard crying so I wouldn’t make things awkward. I pushed the door open and walked in.

Sitting on one of the beds was a girl with long blonde hair. It shielded her face from me for just a second, before she looked up.

It was Eleanor.

Her face was wet with tears, and her eyes looked swollen. She still looked pretty, somehow.

Our eyes met, and she looked back down, embarrassed,