Chapter 8: Calm Before the Storm

Izuku groggily opened his eyes to see that he was in some kind of clinic. A moment later, he realized it was Recovery Girl's clinic, and he tried to remember why he was here. Sparring. Bakugou being a Bakubitch. Koryu. Ballbreaker.

.

.

.

Oh, now he remembered why he was here. He got kicked in the fucking groin so hard he fell unconscious. Now he thought about it, he'd been kind of crap that entire session, really. His quirk was powerful, he knew that. In fact, most would say it's potential and strength far exceeded Explosion. So how did Bakugou come so close to defeating him? Did Explosion really outclass Overhaul? Was Bakugou just more experienced? Maybe Izuku wasn't taking him seriously enough? No, that last one can't have been right; he was definitely aiming to hit Bakugou with the spikes, and he couldn't go all out anyways because there wasn't enough room. If he had the entire gym to use, could he have beat Bakugou? And he didn't even want to open the can of worms that was Koryu Denryu. Instead, he sighed, although if it was out of exhaustion or exasperation was an enigma to all.

"Hey, you, you're finally awake," A familiar voice said. Izuku turned his head to see Koryu sitting on a chair next to the bed.

"What do you want?" Izuku asked, deciding to just get it done with.

"Uh, I guess I wanted to apologize?" Koryu replied. Izuku raised an eyebrow, gesturing for him to continue, "I mean, it was kinda rude to kick you in the balls for a simple sparring match. A Casbah Cuff or a Rainbow Rising would have been enough, honestly. It's just...do you have the time to listen to me whine?" Izuku hummed and sat up.

"Knock yourself out," Izuku replied.

"Yeah, well, you see, I've just been kind of stressed recently. I like helping people by volunteering, because it helps them and helps me feel good, but I think doing that every day for the last 2 weeks or so really got to me without me realizing. And then during the holidays Tensei got me working a bunch as well at the Agency. It doesn't take a genius to figure out that all of that combined leaves little room for free time," Koryu vented as he picked at his slacks (Izuku only just realized at this point he was in his school uniform). Izuku contemplated about that for a moment. Honestly, he was kind of impressed at how hard Koryu worked to help others, even if there was no material gain to it. And he was guessing Tensei was the actual name of the Hero he did his Work Study with, because Koryu mentioned doing Work Studies before the fight, and he mentioned Tensei had an Agency.

"You're a pretty cool guy, Koryu," Izuku opted to say, not sure if Koryu wanted his advice on the situation. Koryu just snickered and crossed his arms while leaning back in his chair.

"If you say so," He replied before stretching, "Anyways, while I'm here, why don't you tell me what your quirk is? I mean, it looks like simple earth manipulation, but quirks are never that simple. Never. Always a damn catch or secret part to it you never knew existed," Izuku raised an eyebrow, wondering why Koryu cared about his quirk. Koryu seemed to catch on to this and held his hands up.

"Hey, I'm just curious. Anyways, I might be able to help you find a different way to use it," He explained. Izuku considered what Koryu said and shrugged.

'Alright. My quirk's called Overhaul. To put it as simply as possible, I can disassemble and reassemble any matter I touch with my hands," Izuku explained. Koryu put his hand to his chin and hummed.

"So...if you disassembled my arms, could you reassemble them differently? Like, shift all my fingers onto one hand or just have both arms attached at the same shoulder?" Koryu asked. Izuku shuddered as he thought of that scenario.