Chapter 30: Betrayal

Chapter 30

Kurono huffed as he made his way up the stairs, but he refused to slow down. Why the fuck were Izuku and the others here? This complicated things way more than they had to be! The plan had been simple: take out the villains in the reception party, make his way up the stairs to the top of the tower, and take care of Wolfram before taking the Quirk Amplification Device for himself. Then he'd stage an explosion in the tower room, use some of the light refracting technology to hide the device, then have Kurogiri warp him back to the hideout and explain that it was destroyed after All Might somehow got free and punched his way into the security system, accidentally triggering an explosion which destroyed the device. Badda bing badda boom, Nedzu has the device and he can go cuddle with Mei and Shiozaki.

So, having such an unpredictable variable in the mix was the very last thing he'd wanted.

Kurono longingly eyed the elevator as he ran into Floor 90, but he shook his head. Wolfram had said he was disabling the elevator entirely after he took Mr. Shield and the other researcher with him, so the only way up was with the stairs. It was a shame, it'd be way easier if he could take the elevator, but he'd make do with what he had.

"Damn it, how'd they already get so far?" Kurono muttered, reaching Floor 91. Surely they would have been stopped by something by now, right? Unless...Kurono scowled as he realized that they'd probably skipped most if not all of the steps by using Izuku's quirk, or maybe even One for All. This was bad. Like, really bad. He'd been hoping to overtake them quickly, but now it would be impossible to do so if he just took the stairs.

Well, there was his answer, he supposed: don't take the stairs.

Kurono quickly looked around for a vent, and he soon found one. He sent forth two arrows, wrapping them through the vent and back out in a different hole in the vent, then proceeded to rip it out of the wall with ease as he retracted his arrows back to his head.

"I don't know if this is even going to work," Kurono said to himself as he jumped into the vent, "But if all roads lead to Rome, then surely all vents lead to the top of the building, right?" Kurono sure hoped he was right, because if he failed this mission, it could be the end for Hero society.

"Tokage-San, do you see anything at the top?" Izuku asked as they ran up another set of stairs. Setsuna's face took on an annoyed look. Or, at least, most of her face did, as he other eye was currently not present as it had flown out of a hole in the wall and up towards the top of the tower.

"No, probably because there's steel plates blocking the windows." She replied. Ah, yes, steel plates, they could make reconnaissance difficult. Izuku sighed as he and his squad made it up to floor 138.

"Well, at least you tried." He offered. Izuku looked around the room to see what looked like black and red columns, far different from the bland hallways they had been traversing earlier.

"What's different about this room?" Kendo asked Melissa.

"These are the servers for I-Island. If they were destroyed, then everything the scientists here have worked towards would be all for naught." Melissa explained.

"Damn, if this wasn't a life-or-death situation, I would give you five stars as a tour guide." Setsuna snarked. Their attention was stolen however as they heard the door opposite them open, and they watched as a whole legion of machines swooped in like demented Roombas, red lights glowing even in the well-lit room.

"Uh, do they bite?" Monoma asked, pointing quite needlessly at the robots.

"No, but they can wrap you up in a wire that's pretty much impossible to break." Melissa replied. Tokoyami groaned.