Chapter 43: Games, Bench Presses, and Murder Plots

Chapter 43

Kai sighed as he sat on the bench, trying to ignore the hustle and bustle of the streets of Constantinople around him, the smell of the Samsades he'd bought drifting into his nose. They'd been stuck in this damn city for a week or two now, all because Shigaraki couldn't make up his mind on their next move. Of course, the end game was to return to Japan, but they wanted to let things cool down for a while before heading back. But of course, that damn man-child couldn't just sit back and wait for a damn minute, and it had taken all of Kai's efforts to keep the idiot from trying to assert any semblance of control over a faraway city where only Kai and Compress knew the local language.

("You...know Greek?" Kai asked suspiciously, raising an eyebrow at the magician as they walked through the streets of Constantinople, with Kai making sure to keep far away from anything filthy.

"Of course! I went to university, you know! I have a Bachelor's in the Arts, with a major in Theatre and a minor in the Classics." The man sighed dreamily as he looked into the distance, "I always dreamed of playing as the hero in a show on the ancient world. I reckon I would have made a wonderful Heraclius, don't you think?"

"Compress, you're Japanese. Why would they hire a clearly Japanese man to play Heraclius, a Greek? And that doesn't explain why you know modern Greek."

"Oh, well that's simple! I figured that if I wanted a role in one of these movies, then I would have to go to Greece or Italy! So, I learnt Italian and Greek as well! Of course, I never ended up following up on it because I was flat broke, but still...")

Although, there was another problem that was on Kai's mind, one that had been eating up his mind ever since he'd been told All for One had been captured. Shigaraki was now technically the de-facto leader of the League of Villains, and had inherited all of the man's assets. Kai...he couldn't live safely like that. They'd never really gotten along before, and now that Shigaraki had essentially an entire empire's worth of power, it was only a matter of time when the power would go to Shigaraki's head and Kai would be eliminated.

...

He'd have to strike first, that was the only option. But how? He doubted that anyone else in the League would kill Shigaraki for him, and Shigaraki was far superior to him in combat, and the fact he barely slept reduced the chances of getting a sneak attack on him. Maybe he could use Nomu? No, Shigaraki could just order them to stop

Kai suddenly flinched as water splashed onto his exposed socks, getting them wet. He scowled as he felt the hives pop up on his leg from the filth, and he sighed as he realized he'd have to get a change of socks to...

He blinked as he remembered what he'd hidden in his sock drawer back in Japan. Of course, the CROWN that he'd stolen from I-Island could help him stop Shigaraki. He...didn't actually know what the CROWN would do to his quirk, but it was his only realistic chance to kill his enemy.

Kai suddenly stood up, making his way back to the apartment whilst munching on his food, and as he did so a plan began formulating in his head.

Leave Constantinople and return to Japan (he was most likely going to need to stop some detours, even though he'd very much like to visit Vienna, Rome, Alexandria, etc.)

Retrieve CROWN from drawer

Test out CROWN for a while and find out what it does to his quirk

Use the CROWN to eliminate Shigaraki

In truth, it probably wouldn't be as simple as that, but it was the best plan he had at the moment, so it'd have to do.

He finished his food, putting his rubbish in a bin before walking up the stairs to the apartment. He didn't even bother knocking as he walked in and was met with the sight of Mustard and Dabi playing cards (Mustard was losing) while Twice was cooking in the kitchen (it smelt awful). Shigaraki, however, was nowhere to be seen. Kai turned to Compress, who was reading a book in an armchair, and asked the question on his mind.