Chapter 18: Symbol

Chapter 18: Symbol

Chapter 18

"WEEEEEELCOOOOOOME TO...THE FINAL ROUND!" Present Mic practically screamed into the mic, which was answered with a tidal wave of cheers from the colossal audience, "On one side, we have the guy who's gone against monumental obstacles and emerged victorious! He came first in the Obstacle Race, and again in the Cavalry Battle! He's the manipulator of matter and a dreamer of equality! Give it up for...MIDORIYA IZUKU!" Izuku could almost feel the ground shaking as the crowd cheered for him, and a wave of anxiety washed over him. Everyone in Japan was watching him, including The Boss and Irinaka. If he failed here...no, he had to win, there was no room for failure now. "VERSUS! He's remained in the top ranks consistently through the day! He's got plenty of bark, and more than enough bite to back him up! Just like Midoriya, he's climbed all the way to the top! Lend a voice to...BAKUGOU KATSUKI!" Another wave of cheers and shouts crashed throughout the stadium, but Izuku noticed that it was slightly less intense than it had been for him, which meant that in this battle, more people were probably expecting Izuku to win. And god if that wasn't an anxiety-inducing thought to have. He decided to look over at Bakugou, who was scowling.

"De- Brocc...you," Bakugou opted to say, getting Izuku's attention, "I will destroy you, got it?" Izuku smiled shakily and stared down at his opponent. Bakugou's scowl deepened when Izuku didn't respond, and he let out a few explosions as if to back up his point. But Izuku...he wouldn't be, couldn't be afraid of Bakugou anymore. Because he was stronger. He was smarter. And he had a hell of a lot more to lose than Bakugou did.

"Are you boys ready?" Midnight asked. Bakugou grunted, and Izuku gave a thumbs up as he lowered himself slightly, hands reaching down to the ground. Midnight flicked her whip, "in that case, let the fight begin!" Instantly, Bakugou rocketed towards Izuku, who quickly slapped a hand to the ground to create a mass of spikes in Bakugou's direction.

'Bakugou seems to prefer large, open areas, seeing as it allows him greater mobility,' Izuku thought, removing the spikes before already editing the arena once again, this time creating thick pillars around the battleground, 'This didn't really work last time, but he doesn't have any support gear this time,'

"And Midoriya starts by trying to make a Bakugou Kebab, which Bakugou easily avoids! But why is he making all these pillars?!" Present Mic questioned. Izuku heard Bakugou, and quickly spun around to intercept Bakugou, swiping at the boy as he failed to finish his sneak attack. Izuku was surprised that Bakugou seemed to be using actual tactics and wasn't simply using brute force like he'd expected.

"Isn't it obvious? He's attempting to limit Bakugou's mobility, as that's possibly his greatest strength against someone like Midoriya," Aizawa grumbled. Izuku grimaced as he saw Bakugou begin destroying some pillars; it seemed like he'd learnt from last time.

'I have to end this quickly. The main reason Kendo lost is because she let the match go on too long,' Izuku thought to himself, pressing his hand to the ground, and clearing the battlefield, momentarily surprising Bakugou before Izuku once again created spikes, forcing Bakugou to escape into the air. What he hadn't been expecting, however, was a pillar to erupt behind him and aim for his arms. While He managed to dodge it at the last second, he still got hit in the foot relatively hard by the looks of it, which was good.

"Shitty nerd, gotta rely on cheap tricks just to beat me?!" Bakugou yelled, rocketing towards Izuku, who quickly erected a wall to block him.

"You make it sound like cheap tricks are bad," Izuku snarked, trying to rile Bakugou up, "Are you just too stupid to use them and that's why you hate them?" It worked, as a scream of rage could be heard, and the entire wall exploded. Luckily, Izuku had hid behind the lowest part of the wall, lying on his stomach to avoid the blast. With his hand on the ground, Izuku tried to discreetly spike Bakugou in his arms, but that plan went to bust when Bakugou picked him up by his jacket collar and chucked him across the stadium with an explosion.