AnnaClayton8

1) Tell us a little about yourself

Anna Clayton is actually a pen name! But it's the only made-up thing you'll read in these interview questions, I promise! I live in Michigan with my husband and three daughters. I have always loved writing, but I especially love writing for my girls.

2) What's your favorite author? Favorite book? They can be from Wattpad or elsewhere.

Roald Dahl is the author that made me love reading. He does such a great job writing naughty characters and teaching readers a lesson or two. My favorite book by him has to be "The Twits" or... maybe "The Witches"... or "Matilda" All of them, really!!

3) How long have you been writing?

I've been writing forever, but a little more seriously over the past five years or so. It turns out I need a creative outlet more than I thought!

4) Why you do write? What's your inspiration?

The simple answer is that it's fun! I love to think of a story and add to it and brainstorm twists and turns. My daughters are super encouraging- they are always asking for something new to read that I've written. They might just be trying to make me feel good, but it works!

5) What's your preferred genre?

For novels I like to write Middle School fiction- I like a wholesome story, but it's still an age where I can hint at a little crush or romance if I want! I also write a bit of non-fiction about art and if I'm doing a short story I try to get literary, though that's harder for me to nail down.

6) What was your first written story?

As an adult? It was called "The Job That Wasn't." It was runner-up for a local contest and I nearly died of happiness!

7) What's your writing process?

I am a big goal setter. I'll set a word count goal for the year, month, or week and once it's set it's game on!! Even if everything I write is garbage, I hit that count! I can always go back and fix things later!

8) What are your current writing projects? Can you give us a teaser?

I'm writing a story for my daughter about a human girl who gets caught in a war between fairies and trolls. And I'm cleaning up a MS novel I wrote for NaNoWriMo last year.

9) Do you have any unpublished stories? If so, why and do you ever plan to publish them?

If so, why and do you ever plan to publish them? Tons of them! I guess I don't know- if I feel like they need to get out into the world maybe the Wattpad community will see them!

10) As a writer, what's the most challenging aspect?

Lately it seems to be focus. I never used to have this problem, but these days my brain just won't quiet down for a second so I can think!!

11) Where do you see yourself in five years?

Still writing for sure! Maybe finally mastering the art of Kintsugi- I talk about doing that a lot, but haven't gotten around to it.

12) Do you have any tips for aspiring writers?

Finish! Even if it is trash and the tenses are wrong and you switch POV halfway through and there are a million plot holes! Finishing is half the battle and if feels so good when it's done!!