Another missed

Olivia's PoV

"But Mom- he wants you to be here. He's turning 16" I whispered down the phone as Topper walked past going upstairs, of course he wasn't listening. He never did but I have to admit this was the only time I was grateful he didn't.
"What about Dad? You both missed the last one" tears swelled in my eyes, apparently the business trip was taking longer then expected.
"Mom- mo- listen" that's when the phone cut out.

I sucked on my teeth as I closed my eyes leaning forward onto the counter top.
Groaning as I finally stood up straight, taking a deep breath I made my way to Topper's bedroom.
"Hey can I come in?" I knocked on the door and he told me it was fine so I strolled in causally, trying to stay calm for his sake.
"I have something to tell you" I swallowed the lump in my throat.
"What is it?" He shrugged, not caring what I had to say.

"They're not going to be back in time for your birthday" I bite the side of my cheek as I leaned against his set of draws.
"What? It's my 16th?! Why?" He was instantly angry, I couldn't blame him. They'd missed many birthdays.
"Business trip Top- I was thinking you could throw a party for your birthday? Invite whoever you want?" I scratched the back of my neck awkwardly, I knew that he always wanted a party so I decided to let him have one.

I can't ruin his birthday more. My parents had already done that Enough.
"They probably already sent the card! They knew that they wouldn't be back in time!" He shouted pushing most of what was on his desk off it onto the floor, the frame of us two smashing making me jump a little.
"Hey! What's going on?!" Rafe had come in, I didn't even know he was here?
He stood in front of me slightly, I'm guessing he only heard a little bit of the conversation and then the smash of the glass.

Topper scoffed, his eyes glassy as his
His jaw became slack , he stormed down the stairs and out the house, I sighed in defeat.
I'd already brought him presents, with my own money well in advance.
I knew the second they went on this trip that they wouldn't be back in time, they never were.
They'd give me money for some presents but most of the time they'd send presents and cards here.

"You ok?" Rafe took in my frame as he looked me over "I'm fine- where did you even come from?" My voice was full of frustration. To be honest this wasn't Rafe's fault but it was easier to blame it on him then admit what's happening.
"I just got here- I was visiting Topper when I heard shouting. So lose the attitude princess" he stepped back as he rolled his eyes.

"Yeah well if I needed your help I'd ask for it" I pushed past him, bending down to pick up the glass that Topper had smashed.
"Can you stop? Just for one second? And pretend that your not miss perfect" he turned facing me again as I avoided eye contact.
"There missing his birthday- again" I swallowed the ache in my throat as my eyes got heavy with tears, I pushed them back as I tried to be cold in front of the boy.

"Who? Your parents?" Rafe questions and I simply nodded not trusting my voice.
That's when he bent down helping me pick up the chunks of glass.
"I remember that- you won him the science fair because you did his project" Rafe pointed to the picture in the broken frame.
"Hmm seems like so long ago" I put the glass into the bin in Tops room as I put the remaining objects like books and utensils back on his desk.

"Back when we were actually friends. That wasn't that long ago" his eyes flicked up to mine as he stood up with me.
"Friends? Sarah and Top were friends- we simply tolerated each other Rafe" I narrowed my eyes at him as I did I finally noticed his worn down look.
His knuckles bruised, his eyes tired and his facE paler then usual.
"Yeah well I guess I remember it differently" he chuckled a little and I rolled my eyes as I folded my arms.

"Can you talk to him? I need to do a few things. Help him throw a party for his birthday or whatever. Your friends right? Even if I wished you weren't. You are so- can you just please talk to him? Encourage the party or something? He listens to you" I looked him up and down slightly, he looked taller then the last time I had properly saw him.
"Anything for you miss perfect" he scoffed as he strolled out after Top.
Rolling my eyes a little I start to tidy the house as I usually did.

A few hours pass and I started to get worried.
I was actually debating wether to call Rafe and ask where the hell my brother is.
So I did. "Hello?" He slurred and my brows frown.
"It's Olivia. You know where my brother is?" I sit on the sofa, it was starting to get dark.
"Yeah- we're at some party" his voice was barely audible over the music.
"He's what?!" My voice raised a little as I tried to relax, I knew what Rafe did at parties. Everyone did. That's probably why he got kicked out and cut off.

"He's fine. Chill mama bear" he mocked me for my protectiveness.
"No you chill. I swear Rafe If you let him do anything stupid ill kill you" I stood up strolling into the kitchen as I open the fridge with my spare hand. I also didn't like being alone here. It creeped me out. I hated being alone. Most of my teenage years I was alone, all except when I was looking after Topper.

Even though he was younger and annoying at times, he is my best friend. Then and now. I never had time to make them at school or hang out with them outside of school so I made sure Topper and me got along. There was one girl I spent time with- but that was short lived.
I didn't have time. I had to look after Topper and make sure he had everything I didn't.
"Yeah yeah whatever princess. I gotta go" then he hung up. I bite my tongue nervously. I didn't want Topper doing drugs like Rafe did. I didn't want to be home alone all night either.
Plus he isn't in the right frame of mind to party right now, a few hours before he was smashing up the house.

But I had to let him have some independence.
So i'll go, spy a little. He won't even know I'm there because he'll be to drunk.

(I changed the age. So there's 6 years between Liv and Topper:))

Dark side.On viuen les histories. Descobreix ara