-032-

"A very good evening to all our respected delegates and talented students, I welcome you all to the 23rd Annual Business Mock Presentation in the academic session 2022-23!"

The MC smiled vibrantly. She had a pretty face, the kind of doll face that would remind one of a doll stitched by someone's grandma for a 8 year old grandchild.

"Isn't that Choi Minseo? The popular public speaker?" Mijin asked with curiosity. "Yeah, thats her. She is a respected alumni of Neo Tech of Academics, she comes here every year to host high level functions like these." Yunho, a senior batch student, replied, before getting back to his work.

I keep on forgetting how this is literally a top university, Mijin thought to herself.

"Without further ado, let us hear the rules for today."

"Today we will be seeing the presentations of our amazing first year batch, who will be awarded points on 3 main categories. Firstly, on the basis of Self-Presentation: includes body language, confidence, etc. Then we have the Content: basically what you all will be presenting, the originality, the clarity, and third, how well do you answer the questions that come to you by our fellow judges..."

About 90% of the participating audience was too freaked out to hear who were judging them as the anticipation of the moment finally came into light. All their efforts through almost half the year would be tested today, unfortunately, in front of many people. The other 10% was also freaking out, only that they were not showing it.

Donghyuck had left back his jittery fingers and stage fright backstage. He looked more confident than ever, shining with the same radiance the topper of the school does as they come out of the examination hall after a satisfactory exam.

Okay maybe not that calm.

He did admit, he was freaking out but internally, something which only makes matters worse. But he was pretty sure of himself, the all-nighters, the screaming and the times Renjun regretted having him as a roommate because of the screaming.

Honestly Renjun didn't need a reason to regret having him as a roommate but you get my point.

I'm the author, bear with it.

Donghyuck's gaze shifted across the audience to see Jihoon standing far-adjacent from him. Jihoon sensed eyes on him, as his mouth slanted upwards. He showed him a thumbs down with both his hands, enjoying seeing his enemy's lack of confidence. Donghyuck rolled his eyes: Jihoon was least of his concerns at any given moment.

Jihoon was probably the only student sitting in the hall who was calm and confident, human education didn't really matter to him. What did, matter, however was what he had come here for...

...maybe that should be a matter for later to discuss. 

And one by one the presentations commenced: two of the students ran off stage, another tried to subtlety but not so subtlety bribe the judges, and another started crying. On the other hand, there were some highly remarkable presentations too: with holographic presentations, interactive language skills, and other many profound aspects one would judge in a presentation.

By the time Donghyuck was called backstage as the next participant, the internal cries within had started showing, beads of sweat falling from the forehead. Jihoon, who was standing behind as the next to next participant, scoffed at the "incompetence" of his preceding participant. To him it seemed that he wouldn't have to use his other  ways to make him fail. 

"And the next participant: Lee Donghyuck!"

Donghyuck found himself still at the position between the stage wing and the stage. He closed his eyes, and everything went mute. 

You will achieve as you had dreamed it. A strong dream, and an even stronger victory. I believe in you...

It was a disembodied male voice. It spoke in a language he didn't understand, but what he spoke, he understood....

"Lee Donghyuck?"

A voice brought him out of it. Minseo stood in front of him.

MINSEO- Too worried. 
DONGHYUCK- N-No ma'am. I'm.. good. So sorry for the wait. 

Minseo smiled at the student, leading him to the stage. 

The judges looked at the contestant, recognizing him as the future CEO of one of the most well-earning companies in the global scale. Lee Minho, one of the judges asked,

MINHO- Oh? Donghyuck? What brings you here?
DONGHYUCK- What all the students are here for, sir. The mock presentation. *smiles* 

"But do you need to really? As I have heard you were born with a silver spoon in your mouth. Already have it easy compared to these students, don't you? Don't bother competing, you can probably buy a diploma in Business either ways." 

Im Junho, was a rather salty person. One of the only reasons he really wanted to judge this presentation round was because of his personal grudges with Donghyuck's stepfather. He was one of the many companies who had been surpassed by Mr. Lee's. Difference was, he was rather pissed about it. 

There followed murmurs and whispers and chuckles at the statement, the other three judges looked at the man with questioning looks. Even Nahee, the Founder of the University, passed him a look of resent.

But the dirtiest look was passed to him by Mijin, from behind the camera. 

 Who the fuck does he think he is? Which trashcan did this piece of garbage escape from?  Were some questions that came to her head. 

"Oh don't worry audience, we know each other, don't we? I was just kidding."

MINA (Judge)- How about we proceed with the presentation--

DONGHYUCK- Sorry to interrupt, ma'am, but I consider it important to answer Mr. Im's question, we are being awarded points on that, am I correct? 

The warm smile Donghyuck had come to stage with had slightly faded away, but was still there. 

DONGHYUCK- I know many people in my life and otherwise who are from rich families but have failed, and in some cases gone bankrupt. I know rich people who have worked day and night and made themselves strong in whatever field they went in, succeeded tremendously. I also know comparatively not-so-rich people who have worked tirelessly to achieve more than their richer counterparts. At the end of the day it doesn't really matter where we come from, but it is more about what we become. 

DONGHYUCK- Also your assumption on me having a silver spoon in my mouth since birth, I think you should get a fact check. I was born in a very normal, rather poor family. I lost my biological father and sister very early in life. My mother and stepfather were business partners and while they raised me and my stepbrother with much love and care, they managed to grow a full-fledged business. If anything, I am privileged with all the knowledge and inspiration my household has. Oh also one more thing, I'd rather lose my way through a crowd full of people rather than win in a VIP room, of course unlike some. 

Donghyuck passed a glare at the now speechless Junho, who was pale with embarrassment.

"YOU GO KING WE LOVE DAT ATTITUDE"

Someone yelled from the back seats, making the students chuckle.

DONGHYUCK- Well, can we proceed with this now? My batchmates are waiting.

~~~~~