The Winter Soldier

After Steve's abrupt exit, there was a moment of concerned silence before the others slowly began to discuss the accords again. The argument getting heated between the divided sides.

I felt concerned for Steve, he looked heartbroken when he left the room. So I decided that instead of sitting and listening to my friends arguing, I'm going to go see if he was ok. I went to stand up from my seat but Tony stopped me from going anywhere.

"Y/n, you've been quiet in all of this." He stated, trying to prompt an opinion out of me

I sighed slightly and unconsciously curled into myself. "Aren't I always quiet?" I asked him, trying not to answer the question.

"Well, yes. But that's not what I meant." Tony said, clearly not letting me slide past without giving my opinion.

"I...I don't know." I said uncomfortably

"You don't know? Surely you have some sort of opinion." Tony said. I shifted awkwardly and looked down at the floor.

"Tony. Leave her be." Nat chastised him

"What? She's apart of this team. Surely she has something to say about it." Tony asked

I sighed and looked up again, glancing in Tony's direction. "I don't know, Tony. I think that, sure, we should sign something like this. But I'm uncertain on the accords. I just think that there has to be a better way to go about this than giving up our freedom to a council of people who don't know what it's like to be out on the field."

"You know, you're starting to sound a lot like Rogers. You've been spending too much time with him." Tony said, there was bitter undertone in his voice that I tried not to take offence at. This is clearly very personal to him.

"Well, speaking of Rogers. I'm gonna go check on him." I stated as I stood up from the sofa and walked towards the door he left out of. The group I left behind slowly started the conversation up again.

I walked the same way he did, using my enhanced senses to try and pinpoint where he was in the building. I could hear his heartbeat and sense his presence in a way that I still could not explain

I eventually found Steve in the stairwell, leaning against the railing with his head in his hands.

He glanced up when he heard my footsteps on the stairs above him. his eyes were red and he had tears marks on his face.

"Steve? What happened?" I asked him gently, my eyebrows furrowed in concern.

"It's Peggy....She's gone." Steve said quietly, pain and grief evident in his voice.

Once he said it out loud, that she was really gone, his tears started to fall more freely. Morning for the woman he loved.

"Oh, Steve. I'm so sorry." I replied in sympathy. I know how much Peggy meant to him, how much he loved her.

I stepped down the last remaining steps to where Steve was standing and tentatively wrapped my arms around his waist. Trying to offer any comfort that I could.

Steve returned the embrace, he wrapped his arms tightly around my shoulders and sighed heavily. His large frame encompassing my own.

We stood there for a moment, and my eyes started to prick at the sound of Steve sobbing quietly. He sniffled and buried his head into the crook of my neck.

Steve and I eventually parted, and my heart felt heavy in my chest.

"Her funeral is next week, in London." He said mournfully.

"If there's anything you need, I'm here for you." I said honestly. Steve saved my life, he rescued me from hydra. I would do anything to help him.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~