I just feel you

7 weeks since Siberia

The tires of the black SUV screeched painfully on the tarmac road as we turned sharply around another corner and headed down a long stretch of road that led into a thick forest. The darkness of the sky caused the trees to look ominous, and they might have scared me if it wasn't for the fact that Captain America was the one who was driving.

I glanced over my shoulder to see the bright police lights blaring as four cards chased after us. This was the third car we have had this week alone. Every time someone spotted one of us, the law would be on our tail almost immediately.

"Can't you just...you know...get rid of them." Sam asked me. He turned his body slightly to glance back at me as he gestured wildly with his hands, trying to mimic my hand movements when I used my powers. I clutched tightly to the handle on the door as Steve broke the speed limit ten times over.

"No, Sam. We're already in trouble and you want me to destroy police cars?" I asked rhetorically with a hint of irritation in my tone.

Loud gunshots suddenly rang out from one of the vehicles behind us. I ducked my head down in surprise and Steve started to swerve the car left and right. The intense veering of the vehicle made it hard to keep myself up right, if I wasn't wearing a seatbelt I would have been flung across the backseat. I dared to glance behind us to see a cop had lent out slightly with his handgun clutched in his right hand, he was trying to get a hit on our tires to slow us down.

The back windshield cracked as another bullet flew at the vehicle. I covered my head with my arms at the sudden sound and sighed in annoyance, It didn't seem like we were going to shake them off anytime soon. 

"Alright. That's enough." I muttered quietly in annoyance. I lowered my hands from my head and sat up straight. I glanced out the window at the several trees that were passing us at speed. We were quickly approaching a large oak tree that was planted at the side of the road.

"Y/n! Get down!" Steve yelled over his shoulder.

I focused on the large tree and put all my power into pulling it up from the roots. Once we had passed the tree, I let it fall and gave it an extra push for good measure. It made a thundering boom as it landed heavily on the concrete road, blocking the police cars from pursuing us any further.

I let out a small sigh of relief and relaxed back into my seat again, even though Steve hadn't taken his foot off of the gas and we were still going very fast.

"I thought you weren't going to deal with them?" Sam asked in a sassy tone. I huffed a small laugh and crossed my arms over my chest.

"I changed my mind." I said with a shrug.

Even though we were out of dodge for now, we weren't fully out of danger just yet. There was no doubt that this incident would be reported and lead to more officers on our tail, most likely government officials who want us taken in and punished.

Steve drove quickly down the road for another mile or so before he pulled off at the side of the road and switched off the engine. The three of us clambered out of the car and grabbed all of our bags and gear.

"Come on, let's get off the road." Steve ushered Sam and I to follow him into the thick woods at the side of the road.

The fallen leaves that lay on the forest floor rustled under my shoes as we trekked through the dark forest. The sky was slowly beginning to lighten as the sun started to rise over the horizon, which was lucky because it was difficult to see where I was going.

The sound of soft breathing and crunching leaves was suddenly drowned out by the sound of an engine approaching. For a split second, I thought it was a helicopter sent out to search the trees for us and my heart leapt in my chest. But once it started to get closer, I realised that the sound was painfully familiar. It was a quintet.