Peace

2 weeks later

The warm spring air was welcoming to the city of New York. The trees that spread out over Central Park were beginning to blossom with bright green leaves. People passed by on foot or on bikes as they enjoyed the sunny afternoon. Walking amongst them was an avenger, who was waiting nervously for her boyfriend's arrival.

Y/n reached her hand into her pocket to check the time once again. Bucky said he wouldn't be any longer than half an hour and it had been forty minutes. She knew that she shouldn't be worrying, that of all people Bucky Barnes could take care of himself. But due to the nature of their job, and all the things they have been through, she couldn't help but think of all the things that could have gone wrong.

A pair of arms suddenly wrapped around her waist, jolting her out of her thoughts. She looked down and felt herself relax when she noticed a very familiar vibranium arm. A smile immediately broke out on her face as Bucky gently pressed his nose into the crook of her neck.

"Hey." She said softly with a smile.

"Hey, doll." He said in the same tone. The affection that shone out from his voice made her flush.

"Did everything go okay?" She asked him as she turned in his grasp to look up at him.

"Yeah, well..." Bucky trailed off. Y/n frowned gently at his hesitation.

"What is it?" She asked him

"I may have backed down from actually talking to her and left my notebook on her desk with a note." Bucky admitted sheepishly.

Y/n sighed gently and placed her hand on the side of his face. "That's okay. You still did it."

Bucky nodded in response. He turned his head and kissed the underside of her wrist gently. Y/n smiled gently at him, these last few weeks have been hard on him. He's been apologizing and telling the truth to a lot of people who had been targeted by the winter soldier. It had taken a lot out of him to face it, but she can see that it's had a difference. He looks happier.

Bucky removed his arms from around her waist and took hold of her hand instead. The couple slowly began to walk along the path that was surrounded by green grass and bright flowers. Y/n sighed happily as she took in the atmosphere of the bright day. They didn't normally get to enjoy times like this, not with their job. But recently it seems to be a more frequent occurrence.

"Are you packed?" Bucky asked her with a smile.

"I am. Are you?" She asked him

"Yes. Completely." Bucky nodded, his tone was completely unconvincing

"You liar. We're leaving tomorrow." She said with a laugh

"I know, I know. I'll do it when we get back." Bucky said with a boyish laugh of his own.

The couple fell into a comfortable silence, hands intertwined in between them. Birds chirped their songs happily from the branches of the trees. Y/n's eyes softened as she looked around her, taking in the softness of the day. All of this made her job worth it. All of the fighting and the torment, it was all for this. For peace.

Bucky gently squeezed her hand, trying to catch her attention. "What's going on in that head of yours?" He asked her

"Nothing. I'm just happy." She said with a content sigh

"Me too, doll. Me too." Bucky said with a smile as he kissed the crown of her head.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

"Do you have any weapons on you?" The airport security officer asked Y/n. For a split second she wondered if her powers would count, they are definitely weapons of some kind, but it's not like she can take them out or turn them off. So she kept her mouth shut and didn't bring it up.