It's not hopeless

1 year later.

The grass bent under my shoes as I walked down to the familiar lake where a small hut resided. The sun was just starting to appear over the horizon, casting a breathtaking mix of orange and red across the sky that reflected off of the large body of water.

I breathed in deeply, enjoying the smell of the morning air. The world around me felt quiet and peaceful. Sitting at the shore line, with his back towards me, was Bucky. He was watching the run rise, his hair was tied up into a half man bun. His shoulders slowly rising and falling as he took in the beautiful sky.

I quietly walked along the sand, although I knew he would be able to hear me coming with his enhanced hearing. I sat down next to him at the edge of the water and turned my gaze to the view in front of us. We sat in silence for a moment, enjoying the peace that the early morning gave us.

"Morning Buck." I said softly after a moment, breaking the silence and giving him a kind smile

"Morning y/n." He replied lightly, returning my smile.

When I glanced at him, I felt a frown tugging at my lips. He had dark bags under his eyes from restless nights because of nightmares. He was always hesitant to tell me what they were about, he was afraid of what I might think. But I would never judge him for what he was forced to do as the Winter Soldier.

"How did you sleep? Did you have more nightmares?" I asked him gently.

Bucky tensed his jaw. "A few." He admitted.

"I'm sorry." I said honestly. "I'm here, y'know, if you want to talk about it."

Bucky nodded, he had a look of gratitude in his eyes. I sighed quietly and lowered my head to rest on his shoulder. He tensed slightly before relaxing. He still wasn't used to people showing him kindness or affection.

We sat in silence for the rest of the morning. The silence wasn't an awkward one, we were enjoying each other's presence and the peaceful atmosphere.

After the sun had risen into the sky, I noticed from the corner of her eye that Bucky had a frown on his face, his brows were furrowed and he had a sad look in his eyes.

"What's going on in that head of yours, Buck?" I asked him quietly

"You don't want to know that." Bucky replied with a joking tone to cover up the pain

"I do." I replied, trying to encourage him to open up.

Bucky stayed silent for a moment and I thought he wasn't going to respond until he broke the silence. "I'm…I just don't think I'm worth all this." He admitted

I raised my head from his shoulder, my eyebrows furrowed in concern. "What do you mean?"

"Well, it's just that everyone here has been trying so hard to help me, and when you, Steve and the others helped me last year…and you've been stuck here with me for the past year." Bucky said sadly

"Hey. I'm not stuck here, I want to be here. Buck, you are worth all this. You've been through so much and you deserve it." I stated kindly but firmly, wanting to make sure that he would stop doubting his worth. To me, he was worth the world and more.

Bucky nodded, but I could tell he didn't fully believe me. He had a distant look in his eyes as he looked out across the water. I sighed quietly, wishing that he would see himself the way I saw him.

"Do you think it will ever work?" He asked quietly

"I hope so." I responded.

The two of us returned to our silence, enjoying each other's presence and the peaceful morning.