You shouldnt have done that

The world fell silent. Everything around her felt like a blur as she stared across the town square at the flag smasher's dead body. He may have been a part of a terrorist group, but he didn't deserve that. He didn't deserve to die.

Y/n couldn't help but blame herself. If she had stayed with Walker a second longer she might have been able to prevent this. She could have used her powers to stop him from bringing that shield down on the man's chest.

Walker stood frozen for a moment before he turned on his heels and began to run away. He looked dazed, his eyes far away, like he couldn't believe what he had just done.

A hand grabbed onto y/n's arm and brought her back to reality. She turned her head and locked eyes with Bucky who was mirroring her shock in his expression.

"We have to go. We have to take the shield." Bucky said to her quietly

Y/n nodded in agreement and the three of them took off running in the same direction as Walker. Leaving behind the crowd of shocked people and the dead body of a flag smasher.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

"Did you see where he went?" Sam asked as he jogged alongside them. The three of them jogged along a path next to a long line of abandoned warehouses.

"No." Bucky admitted to him

Y/n came to a stop, causing the boys to stop in their tracks as well to see what had happened. She closed her eyes and listened out for any sign of Walker. Surely there weren't many people in this area.

"Why!" Y/n's eyes shot open and she looked ahead towards a warehouse. It was Walker.

"Y/n?" Bucky prompted her gently

She locked eyes with him and then nodded in the direction of the warehouse. "This way."

The three of them quickly walked over to the entrance of the warehouse. Y/n could feel the pain and regret radiating off of Walker from inside the building. This wasn't going to be an easy thing to do, to take the shield from him.

When they walked into the warehouse, y/n's eyes immediately fell on Walker's hunched form. He was crouching on the ground with the shield clasped in his hands. He then raised his posture slightly.

"Time to go to work." He said quietly to himself before he stood up from the ground. He knew they were there.

"Walker..." Sam said as the man marched towards them.

"You guys should see a medic, you don't look so good." Walker said to them

"Stop, Walker." Sam said to him as he aggressively paced around the room.

"What? You saw what happened. You know what I had to do. I killed him because I had to! He killed Lemar!" He yelled at them

"He didn't kill Lemar, John." Bucky said

"You didn't have to do that." Y/n said quietly

He sighed and turned away from them.

"Don't go down that road, believe me, it doesn't end well." Bucky told him

"I'm not like you." Walker spat

"No. You're not." Y/n glared in defense. Bucky was forced to kill, Walker wasn't.

"Listen, it was the heat of the battle. Okay? If you explain what happened they may consider your record." Sam tried to placate him. But Walker only laughed and shook his head.

"We don't want anyone else to get hurt." Sam said again

"John...you gotta give up the shield man." Sam said