The beginning of the end

The air of New York felt strangely quiet. Cars rushed past in the distance as people went about their daily business and only a few sirens could be heard. Y/n sat comfortably on her sofa in her apartment. Even though she was grateful for the moment of peace and she wanted to enjoy it, she couldn't help but feel on edge.

After so many years of being with the Avengers, always being on the run or fighting someone. Moments of calm felt wrong. She was waiting for something to happen. An explosion or a cry for help. She didn't know why she couldn't just accept that she wouldn't have to fight every day of her life.

The TV quietly played in the background as Y/n stared absentmindedly out the living room window. It was a nice day outside. The sun was shining and there were hardly any clouds. But she didn't have it in her to enjoy it, maybe out of fear that something would inevitably go wrong.

Y/n drew her eyes away from the window when her phone pinged from the arm of the sofa. She picked it up and smiled to herself at the picture of Bucky that greeted her. It was from a couple of weeks ago, before the flag smashers had come Into the picture, they were at Central Park on a bright day. Bucky was smiling brightly into the camera as she took the picture.

They hadn't been together when the photo was taken, but it was still one of her favourite pictures. The light that was shining in his eyes made her happy.

She had recalled him talking about how nobody put pictures of their partners in their wallets or in lockets anymore. And y/n had pointed out that putting your partner's picture as your Lock Screen was the modern day equivalent. So she thought it was fighting to have his picture on her phone.

Y/n scrolled over to her messages and opened up the text that she had received. It was from Natasha.

"Still looking for Wanda, I've found no sign of her yet. Also, if you ever need help with those flags mashers, let me know :)"

Y/n sighed and ran a hand through her hair. Wanda had been MIA since she had lost Vision. She hadn't seen her since they were at Tony's house for a party. She really worried about her friend, she hoped that she was okay.

"I will, thanks Nat. Let me know if you find anything. :)" y/n quickly shot a text to Nat.

Y/n then put her phone back down and lent back against the couch cushions. She looked over at the TV, a rerun of friends was playing, she had turned on the TV and not realised that it was on.

She went to pick up the remote when someone softly knocked on her front door.

Y/n could sense through the door that it was Bucky, she could also smell that he had brought take out for the both of them. It was the only time that heightened senses were good, sometimes having a good sense of smell was a terrible curse.

Y/n stood up and walked towards her front door, she pushed it open and smiled as her eyes met Bucky's.

"Hey, Buck." She said as she stepped aside and let him come inside.

"Hey, doll. I brought take out." He said as he gave her a quick kiss and held up the bag full of food.

"Thank you, love." She smiled as she closed the door behind him.

Bucky made his way Into her kitchen and Y/n trailed after him. He placed the bag on the kitchen counter and began to take out the food containers. He placed them on the counter while Y/n pulled two plates out of her cupboard.

"Nat messaged me." She said as she helped Bucky put food onto the plates.

"Yeah? What did she say?" Bucky asked her

"She still hasn't found Wanda. I'm really worried about her, Buck." She said

Bucky paused and turned to her, he gently placed his hands on her arms. "I know. But she'll be okay, she's Wanda, she can handle herself."