You are free

Darkness had fallen over the city of Wakanda, the moon and stars were illuminating the sky in a blanket of soft white. The stars had never looked this prominent in New York. Sometimes you could even see the Milky Way lighting up the sky. Y/n would often spend nights lying on the grass just looking up at the stars.

The sand crunched under y/n's shoes as she walked down to the lake in the pitch black. Luckily for her, her enhanced senses meant that she didn't need street lights to see where she was going.

When she got closer to the edge of the water, she could make out the dark silhouette of Bucky Barnes. He had his back to her, staring out across the lake.

When he heard her footsteps approaching, he turned around to face her. She could make out a kind but uneasy smile on his face. She could feel the anxiety rolling off of him in waves.

She returned his smile, walking up to stand next to him. The pair turned to face out towards the body of water again, standing shoulder to shoulder in the quiet of the night.

"Are you ready for this?" She asked him quietly, finally breaking the silence. feeling anxious herself, the tension rising within her at the prospect of what could happen.

Bucky was silent next to her for a moment. "I think so."

Y/n nodded, mostly to herself as she tried to lower her nerves. She took a deep breath in. She could feel a mix of nerves and anticipation.

Bucky and y/n had been staying at Wakanda for 2 years now. Trying their hardest to release Bucky from HYDRAS control. They think they have made a breakthrough, and only one test can prove if they are right.

Y/n was staring intently at the night sky across the lake, she was completely lost in her own thoughts.

Her thoughts were interrupted when she felt a hand latch on to her own hesitantly.

Y/n squeezed his hand reassuringly. Hoping to ease both their nerves. She could feel Bucky's hand shaking against hers, and she knew that her hand was shaking too.

Y/n could sense a presence advancing on them, but she wasn't worried, she recognised her.

A warm, orange glow illuminated the ground behind them, casting their shadows along the once pitch black ground.

The pair turned and faced the person who had approached them. It was Ayo, the leader of the Dora Milaje.

She had become a good friend to both y/n and Bucky in their time spent here.

"Bucky, y/n" she greeted them. "Are you ready?"

Bucky glanced over at y/n, his stunning blue eyes now illuminated by the torch that Ayo was holding. Making him look even more striking. Though his eyes held fear, an intense anxiety and nervousness that y/n wanted to take from him, to ease his pain.

She squeezed his hand in encouragement and mustered up an encouraging smile.

He squeezed her hand back and nodded to Ayo. The woman took the lead, walking ahead of them and lighting up their path.

Y/n and Bucky followed after her, walking back up the familiar grassy hill. He didn't let go of her hand, clinging on to her for much needed support.

The three of them made their way up to a secluded mountain in Wakanda, it took them a while to make their way to the area, the mountain surrounded by a dense forest. It was far away from the city and any civilians. Just in case.

Even though y/n would be there to try and pull him out if the worst happened. They were still saying the words to him, the trigger words.

They made it to the summit where several fires had been lit. They were surrounded by trees and couldn't see the city anymore from where they were. Bucky took a seat on the log across from one of the fires and y/n sat next to him. Making sure she was close if something went wrong.