You had one job

"Sharon, Bucky, Y/n, what's going on on your end?" Sam asked over the radio. They had been patrolling the outside of the building to try and spot Karli or any of her people. But so far they hadn't seen anyone.

"Nothing. All quiet." Bucky replied to him from beside Y/n.

"No one's moving towards the building." Sharon said

"Karli's not coming in. She's trying to force everybody out." Sam said

Bucky and Y/n began to walk over to the entrance of the building. They met up with Sharon and entered the large GRC building.

"You guys are gonna have to do something. Don't let 'em out of the building." Sam said to them over the radio.

There was a metal detector up ahead of them. Bucky walked through first and the machine didn't beep, which honestly surprised her considering how many weapons he must be carrying.

Y/n walked through after him and surprisingly the metal detector didn't beep for her either. Though she didn't have to carry nearly as many weapons as Bucky did.

Sharon went through the metal detector behind Y/n and the machine began to beep and flash red.

"Oops." Sharon said with little actual regret. In this situation, the metal detector was the least of their problems.

"Here's one of them." Bucky nodded towards the window. "I'll get the evac."

"I'll come with you." Y/n said. Bucky nodded and placed his hand on her lower back. The two of them walked away from Sharon and along a corridor.

An announcer's voice suddenly spoke loudly over a speaker. "This is an emergency evacuation. Please proceed to your transports. Group one and two will leave from secure vehicles in the basement. Group three will leave via air support on the roof."

If Karli and her people heard that, they would know exactly where to find the people who were evacuating so they could kill them.

The two avengers walked around a corner and saw a woman who was staring at them. She held a phone up to her ear and she began to walk towards them.

"Mr Barnes, it's Karli." She said as she held the phone out to Bucky.

Bucky paused and looked at the phone before he shot a glance at Y/n. They gave each other an understanding look before Bucky took the phone and held it up to his ear.

"Karli?" Bucky asked

"Aren't you tired of fighting for the wrong side?" Karli asked on the other end of the phone.

Bucky and Y/n began to walk down a set of stairs.

"I've done this before, kid. I know how it ends." Bucky scoffed

"It doesn't matter if I don't survive this. I'm fighting for something bigger than myself. With all the bodies you've collected, have you been able to say the same?" Karli asked. Y/n clenched her hands into fists at her comment. Bucky is not the winter soldier.

"You don't think I ever fought for something bigger than myself? That's all I ever tried to do. And I failed twice." Bucky said.

"You think your cause justifies all this death, but in the end, the nightmares won't go away. You're gonna remember all the ones you killed. Trust me. Don't do this. Don't go down this path." Bucky said. y/n latched onto Bucky's free hand and gently squeezed, trying her best to give him comfort as her heart broke for him.

"If that's how you feel, you should sit this one out." Karli said

"Come on, you know I ain't gonna do that." Bucky replied