Chapter seventeen

Two days have passed since we returned from the mission.

I've spent some time with the girls we rescued, actually most of the time since we came back. Some of them found their way back to their family. Some didn't have a family to return to. I made sure every single one of them had a place, and they're all getting treatment. It won't make up for everything that happened to them, but it'll help them try to move forward.

My father called yesterday; he was happy. I didn't mention the fact that Bruno and his gang helped with the mission, I knew it would only complicate things. He'd ask me a million questions – why did you include him? How much does he know? Will this be a problem? He'd look at it as a threat and nothing more.

Honestly I wouldn't have been able to complete the mission as well as it went, without Bruno's help. The guys made sure that every girl came out safe, while the men behind this are rotting in hell. I've thanked Bruno a lot, but our small moment of.. whatever it was, was just that. A moment. Now we're back to the reality we left it at two years ago.

"I won't forgive you Bruno, I won't forgive you if you push me away and I won't come back. If you tell me to leave right now, I will but then if we ever meet again, it'll be as enemies because I'm never going to look at you the same way."

He doesn't turn around; he doesn't look at me. He just repeats the same words laced with poison.
"I want you to leave."

I'm standing in the kitchen, making a sandwich as my phone plings. It's very early and I already know it's either my father or Daniel, the two only people that text me.
And I'm right, it's my father.

Daddy<3: Hello sweetie, again I'm proud of you for the mission. You took out Vitelli faster than expected. Your next target is Lenny, he's been causing a lot of problems lately. I want an update on Landon River by the end of the week too.

Damn it. I haven't gotten shit on Landon, I've been so busy on the small targets that I've forgotten that he's the main target, he's the main mission in New York. When I'm done with him, I'm going to leave – My stomach turns when I think about the things, I have to do to get to him.

My phone plings again, another text.

Daddy<3: Oh, before I forget. I'm sending down Sebastian to help you with your mission for Lenny.

What? I've never used partners for missions before. The only time I asked for it was when we had to take out Vitelli, and that was for the sake of the girls there. I knit my brows as I reread the text, why Sebastian out of all people? He doesn't even like the "thing" we had when we were both in London.

Before I have the chance to text my father back, the door opens, and a grinning Bruno walks out the door. He steps out and stretches out his body while yawning, though the smile doesn't disappear from his face. He's wearing grey joggers and a white t-shirt.

"Good morning sunshine" He grins, scratching his stomach before entering the bathroom. "Good morning thunder" I mutter, taking another bite of my sandwich. Why is he so happy? Is there a girl in his bed right now? Did he have someone over without me noticing? Knowing Bruno, he probably did. Manwhore.

He walks out the bathroom again when he's done. I stand on the half of the kitchen that's on my side, and he walks over to his side. The smile is still plastered on his face as he opens the fridge to look for something to eat.
I cock a brow and ask, "Why are you so happy?"
"Why aren't you?" He shoots back.
"I am, doesn't mean I need to go around smiling like a fool though."

His happiness doesn't seem to be affected by my comment. Instead he walks over to his side of the counter, and starts making himself a sandwich.
"Is there a girl in your room? Is that why?" I huff, not because I care who he was here, but because I'd rather not run into one of his one-night stands.
"On the contrary" He gives me a cheeky smile, and I'm even more confused now. "The bed was empty when I woke up, which means my day has started off good."