Chapter forty eight

The bottle hits the wall, and shatters down on the floor.

"Man, I wanted that." Luca says, laying down as he looks at the shattered bottle on the floor.
"Too fucking bad, it's gone now." I slur, "so fucking gone."
"I don't think you're talking about the bottle anymore man." Luca breathes out.

I fall down next to him on the sofa and look at the ceiling. We both exhale,
"You good?" he aks,
"No." I breathe, "you?"
"No."

All her stuff is gone. The clothes, the make-up, the skin care. Everything.

"I think we need more alcohol." Luca says, I turn around and look at him. His eyes are red as fuck, and just like me – I'm sure he barely feels a thing right now.
"I think so too."

We stand up and stumble our way to the bar. I filled it up when Amalie left, but I'm sure we've almost emptied it by now. I reach out for the whiskey and put it on the table. Just as I start to pour, Alexa enters – next to her is none other than Pablo.

Me and Luca look at each other and sigh, we already know how this goes.
"Please go away, the both of you." We say, resulting in them giving us another look of disappointment.

"I'll take care of Bruno, you can take Luca." Alexa says,
"Hey! We're not children, we can take care of our selvesss!" Luca slurs,
"Fuck yeah, tell em Lucas!" I grin sloppily.

Despite our protests, Luca gets carried away and the alcohol in front of me gets taken.

"Don't touch that, it's not good for you to be around this stuff." I say to Alexa, grabbing the drink from her and placing it on the shelf.
"It's not good for you either." She says,
"You know what I mean." I roll my eyes, exiting the bar and heading to the living room.

She follows after me and takes a seat on the sofa.
"Bruno, you've done nothing but get wasted these last three days." She sighs, "you need to talk to her."

Talk to her

"She doesn't want to fucking talk Alexa, I've tried – multiple times. I've called, and texted."
"Let me do it then, maybe she'll listen to me."
"No." I cut in, "she left me because she thinks I'm in love with you, how is that going to make it any better? She thinks I chose you."

She doesn't understand, and I can't make her understand.

Alexa looks down at her hands, "I'm sorry, I shouldn't have told you to keep it a secret. I was just afraid, that he'd.. that he'd find out."
"It's not your fault." I sigh, brushing my fingers through my hair. "She's my girlfriend, and by the way she exploded, she'd been feeling like that for a long time. That's on me."

I wouldn't have done anything differently that day though. I didn't "choose" Alexa, it was never about me, Amalie or Alexa. The only thing I wish I could've done different was tell her so she'd understand, but I couldn't risk it.

"I know, but if I'd let you tell her then she would've understood."
"She would, but Lorenzo is every fucking were. He would've found out lex." It would've put the both of them in danger, and it wasn't my decision to take, I had to respect her wishes.
"It doesn't matter anymore.."

I look up at Alexa, she has that same void look in her eyes. She still hasn't told me what he said to her that day, she cried and went hysterical but refused to talk about it afterwards.

"She said that you didn't tell her three simple words." Alexa says, changing the topic. I nod slightly, remembering her words. I lost everything for you.
"Why Bruno? Everyone knows you love her, even a blind person can see it – why haven't you said something as simple as three words?"

Because they're everything but simple. She said it herself, I kept giving her promises and breaking them, how am I supposed to give her everything that comes with those words.

"Look at me for fucks sake." I spit, "she needs a man, a real fucking man – not someone who can't go one day without a damn drink, someone who makes her feel like she's a second choice or someone who's controlled by his fear. I wanted to be better, I wanted to be the best version of myself when I delivered those words to her. I made her a promise and I had every intention of keeping that damn promise.."

"You're freed of that promise."

"And you will."
We both look to the side and see Pablo standing by the door.

I shake my head, "It's not that easy Pablo."
He walks towards me, "do you love her?"
"Is that even a fucking question?" I ask, "of course I do."
"Are you ready to do everything to get her?"
"Yes." I answer without any hesitation.

He smiles, "then pack your damn bags, there's no going back now. You're going to become that version of yourself that you should've been years ago, and you'll get the damn help you need – then you're going to get her."