Chapter thirty-six

The smell of pancakes lingers in the air as I wake up. I look to my side and the empty bed causes the pout on my face. No matter how much time we've spend together these past days, I still cannot get enough.

I stand up and head straight to the grey and black bathroom connected to the room. I brush my teeth but don't bother to fix my hair, my make up isn't here either so I skip that part and go straight to the big walk-in closet. I laugh at the fact that his walk in is even bigger than mine, I think this man might love shopping more than me and I love shopping.

I grab a casual white shirt and put it on, then I start following the delicious smell. For each step I feel my mouth watering as it gets stronger. I'm almost certain that Bruno has asked Maria to come today, but that thought is gone when I see him in the kitchen. Shirtless, messy hair and black boxers. I'm not sure it's the pancakes I'm craving the most anymore...

I sneak up behind him and let my arms find their way around his torso.
"Good morning, love." I say with a sleepy voice, followed with a kiss on his back right where his rose tattoo starts. "That looks scrumptious."

"Good morning, baby." He says as he turns around, placing a kiss on my forehead. "What did we say about using fancy words like that? I'm tired of searching up every word you use."
"I think we have a different definition of fancy words." I laugh, he rolls his eyes.
"Whatever, it does kind of turn me on when you use big words."

He smiles, cups my cheeks and brushes his nose against mine. I love when he does that.
"Ready for the best pancakes you've ever tasted?" He asks, giving me a quick peck before turning around and fixing plates for us both.
"I am indeed, but I'm keeping my expectations low just in case." I've never seen him make food before.
"It's Pablo's recipe so it won't disappoint, I promise."

We sit down, and I take a bite of the pancake. My eyes widen,
"You were right." I mumble, taking another bite right away, "it really is the best pancake I've tasted."
He chuckles, "told you, Pablo doesn't disappoint. There's a reason his parents set him in charge for over half of their restaurants."

Bella is one lucky girl, that man is probably making her his famous recipes right now while they're on honeymoon.

"I still can't believe that Luca shot Bella's cousin in the leg." I say,
"I know." Bruno shakes his head, "that little shit caused me a lot of headaches, he almost started a war with the Lyons."
I laugh, "And the fact that he said the reason was because he was annoying him."
Bruno takes a sip of his apple juice, "I'm going to beat his ass for that. Yet I'm sure he wouldn't do it unprovoked; the Lyon men aren't that innocent."

Most men in this line of work aren't.

We finish our breakfast and I tell Bruno that I can clean up, but he insists on helping. His phone starts ringing almost immediately. He throws one glance at it and stiffens,
"I have to take this." He says, giving me a quick peck before grabbing his phone.

I grab our glasses and scrunch my nose when the smell nears my face. I bring the glass closer and take a couple of sniffs. It smells strong, even though it's apple juice. I put it down and grab the other glass, that one smells normal.

"Bruno?" I question, heading towards his direction with the glass in my hand. I stop when I see his face, he doesn't see me yet. He looks stressed, and his hand is squeezing the phone.

He puts his fingers on the bridge of his nose, "what the fuck do you mean you lost the lead?"
"I know her damn phone is off but you said you could track the computer.. It's been months.. these texts don't sound like her.."

Her?

He lets out a frustrated sigh, whoever it is on the phone is clearly not giving him the answers he wants.
"Do a better job, I don't want to hear from you again until you have a lead." He hangs up and rubs his forehead. I'm about to ask him what that was all about until my own phone starts vibrating inside my pocket.

I rush back to the kitchen and set the glass down. When I pull my phone out, I see the name I've dreaded these past days. It's father, I was wondering when he'd call. Sebastian has probably run to him already and told him everything. I don't know how I'm going to explain this.

I suck in a breath and hit the answer button.
"Father," I say, putting on a high-pitched tone.
"Amalie." He answers back with his usual grumpy tone. You can do this, just tell him the truth.
"Father I can explain-" I start.
"I hope you can, I'm still waiting on the report about Landon."

What?

"The report?" I ask, confused. Just as I say this, Bruno comes in.
"Who is it?" He mouths, I turn the phone so he can see the name and he doesn't even hide the eyeroll. I have no idea what he has against my father but I'm too busy freaking out to ask right now.

"Yes, the report Amalie, I didn't send you to New York for fun." He doesn't know about what happened with Sebastian. Or me and Bruno. "You were supposed to send me the rapport yesterday. Do you even have a lead or are you busy fooling around?"
I sigh, "I don't have anything yet.."
"Amalie Rose Walker-" aaand he's about to give me a speech.

Bruno takes a seat on the sofa, but keeps his eyes on me.
"Come here." He mouths, patting his lap. I smile but don't move, as I wait for my father to finish his speech about me getting slacker and how being his daughter doesn't mean I can get away with bla bla bla.
While my father is rambling, Bruno is getting impatient. "Now." He mouths with a dangerous expression.

"I know father.. yes.. I'm aware." I answer, as I make my way towards Bruno. He grabs my hips and places me in his lap right away, and I almost let out a yelp but manage to keep quiet. If Sebastian haven't said anything to father, then I sure as hell won't. Not right now at least.

"I'm not losing my focus." I say as the reason I'm losing focus places a wet kiss on my neck. I turn around to him and mouth "stop it!" but he only smirks in return.
"Amalie, I won't go easy on you because I'm your father. It doesn't look good in front of the partners." The damn partners in his company, he cares way too much about their opinions.
"I know father, I'm not asking-" I let out a whimper, and my eyes widen as I turn back to the devil that has his hands under my shirt.

"Amalie? What was that?"
I look at Bruno, "Do you have a Deathwish?" I whisper,
"Tell me to stop and I will." He smiles, hiding his face inside my neck. His fingers go further in, and I close my eyes, it feels so good.
"Amalie!" Damn it,

"Uh- yes father, poor connection that's all."
I can feel Bruno's smile against my shoulder, "Poor connection, huh?"
Sneaky little shi-

"Next week, I'm going to call you and we'll have a meeting. The partners will be there, and they'll want a full run down on Landon River's case, do not mess this up."
"Bru- Father, y-yes, yes. I won't."
"I should've gotten a son." He says under his breath, I hear it nevertheless. That comment would've hurt if I wasn't too busy focusing on the motion going on right now.

"Alright then, good chat. Bye father!" I hang up on my father for the first time ever.
"You little shit." I say turning around to a grinning Bruno,
"What? You look so hot in my clothes, I couldn't resist."
"You so did that on purpose!"
"Innocent until proven guilty baby."

I roll my eyes and throw a teasing punch at his shoulder. He turns me around so I'm straddling him,
"better." He says, giving me a peck.
"Why? Now you can't see my arse." I joke, rolling my eyes.
"As much as I love your ass, nothing is better than seeing that pretty smile and those big doe eyes."

The words I love you are threatening to spill out my mouth so instead I kiss him. I'm giving him the time he needs, to know that he's safe with me and that I'm not leaving him. He needs to know that this is going to work out so he can let himself go fully and put his trust entirely in it and that's fine by me.

"What did your dad want?" He asks,
"Landon." I answer shortly, not feeling the need to explain further. He lets out a sigh, probably remembering the events from our latest encounter with Landon.

"I have a plan."