Chapter thirty five

My eyes flutter open, as the sun shines through the window and wakes me up. My head feels heavy, but my body doesn't feel like it's boiling anymore. These last two days have been a blur, I feel like I have been asleep half of the time.

I stretch out my hand, but the bed is empty. A wave disappointment hits me even though it shouldn't be a surprise. I have faint memories of the past day, but I know for sure that Amalie was here.

I get up from the bed and head straight to the bathroom, I remember the puke that was spread all over it, but it's all gone now.

When I'm done showering, I head downstairs, and to my surprise the whole apartment looks shiny and new. Did she do this?

I glance over at the bar and all the alcohol bottles aren't there anymore, and soon I realize that all the alcohol is gone. She threw out every single one! Some of it was rare and can't be bought again, damn you Walker. Why would she do that?

I sigh and walk over to the kitchen, and my eyes land at the paper on the counter. I grab it immediately, a small part of me hoping it'll tell me that she just had to grab something and will be back soon. It doesn't though, instead it says..

"Your medicine is on the bedside table; you have to take it three times a day. Do not mix it with any alcohol, Luca will be coming to make sure you don't. There's soup in the fridge. Consider this my way of apologizing for the things I said at the bachelorette.

If there's anything, call the doctor – I've put his number in your phone.
My job here is done, get well soon.

-Amalie R."

"My job here is done."

She thinks that the only reason I wanted her to stay was to take care of me. I might have been a mess and barely remember much but I remember enough to know that it wasn't because of that.

She did take care of me though, there's no denying that. She fed me, bathed me, she cleaned up the mess I made and she stayed to make sure I was fine no matter how big of a dick I've been towards her.

No one has done that for me before. No one but her.

I ignore the weird feeling in my heart and continue the day, debating if I should or should not call her. It goes by fast, and Luca did indeed come, and he refused to leave even though I told him that I was fine. He said he felt bad, he was "gone." In other words, high on some sort of pills and in another reality, that's why he didn't come.

Luca is like family; we've grown really close over the years. We'd take bullets for each other with no hesitation– Yet there's more about him I don't know then what I actually know. I know he struggles with his past, but he hasn't said a word about it, he's closed off and usually in his own world. I hope someday that he gets the peace he deserves. I try my best to help him but it's hard to help someone clean up their mess when you can't even handle your own.

**

Days go by quick and suddenly we're in France, watching Pablo put his tie on. He looks collected and calm, but I know that on the inside he's the complete opposite. I can see it in his eyes.

"Maybe I should help you with that." I say, slapping his fiddling hands away from the tie.
"I can do it myself." He mutters,
"As your best man, I should be doing some of the work." I smirk, throwing a glance at Luca and getting his middle finger in return.

It's all fun though, Luca doesn't want to be the best man either and Pablo knows that so it wouldn't be a problem for me to take the job. Being the best man means you have to hold a speech and Luca Romero speaking in front of a hall full of children and grown-ups? Not unless you want it to end in a disaster. He'd probably end the speech with, "I don't like any of you. Have a nice fucking day."